Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Changing network cables

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
Changing network cables
« on: May 03, 2018, 11:47:40 AM »
Hi everybody, I have new question about swapping network cable between NIC1 and NIC2.
I have to configure iLO 4 in hp proliant server. In order to work fine, the NIC 1 must be attached to local network and NIC2 must be attached to internet router. But our server is connected in opposite way. Our server is installed as Gateway mode.
Now I want to re-plug these cables in correct order.
NIC 1 to LAN
NIC 2 to WAN.

what is the best way to accomplish this task withouth any problem to OPENVPN connection and other services run on this sme server 9.2?

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: Changing network cables
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »

If you ssh to your system as 'root' then run 'su admin', or login on the console as 'admin' with the same password you use for root, you'll get the same setup menu that you get during system setup.

Option "2. Configure this server" will lat you change the NIC assignments:
https://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter5#Assigning_Your_Ethernet_Adapters_to_Network_Connection

Swapping the NIC assignments should do what you want --- but I'd be nervous in direct proportion to the number of users on the system ;-)

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »
Thanks very much mmccarn. I should deeply study that guide. But what's the reason you had said that " but I'd be nervous in direct proportion to the number of users on the system ;-)" ? I didn't get it clearly I mean , I just had a something very doubtful.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »
another way to open console is just
Code: [Select]
console
when you're logged as root

about mmccarn's comment: I think he's suggesting you not to do such a reconfiguration during office's hours..

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 04:44:41 PM »
Thanks very much stefano. And knowing console command is a great thing. I have done as he adviced me and everything is fine. Openvpn works without no mess. Bye until next question.