Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Restore 8.2 backup to 9.2 HAL error @ 42%

Offline Sparkey

• +0/-0
Restore 8.2 backup to 9.2 HAL error @ 42%
« on: April 14, 2018, 09:52:36 PM »
I installed 9.2 on my server and everything went fine.

Server rebooted and asked to restore from backup.

Server restore started and progress to about 42% and then a STOPPING HAL message appeared and the server rebooted.

Is there a place where a log is saved during restore so that I can identify what part of my backup is causing it to crash ?

Secondly, if there is a log, how to I access it when the restore did not assign a password to admin and I can not log in to the console at this time?

PS: no rush on this.  I pulled the new drives that I installed 9.2 on and returned the 8.2 to the chassis and I am back up running 8.2 with no problems.

THanks

Offline Sparkey

• +0/-0
Re: Restore 8.2 backup to 9.2 HAL error @ 42%
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »
I just finished reading some alternate options for doing a restore and noticed a small comment about some external USB drives having HAL errors due to power issues when not powered by an external source.

I will attempt to try the restore again using a remote power source to power the USB drive and see if the same issue arises.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
I just finished reading some alternate options for doing a restore and noticed a small comment about some external USB drives having HAL errors due to power issues when not powered by an external source.

I will attempt to try the restore again using a remote power source to power the USB drive and see if the same issue arises.

Nice bit of self help - well done.

Let us know the results please !
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline Sparkey

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
I'm back to report that although things didn't go as expected, with a little bit of persistence and some research I did finally get everything moved over to 9.2

First,

I tried to resolved the issue with the failure to restore from my USB Server Console backup.  My next attempt with a powered usb drive resulted with another HAL failure, but at a different point in the restore.

This led me to believe that the possibility existed that the drive might have issues, so I tried the same steps with a different USB drive.  This time the restore failed almost immediately.  Again it was a HAL error but unlike the earlier one, it happened as soon as I started restore.

So, this time I watched SME 9 booting up to see what usb devices are being initialized.  I saw the mouse initiated and then the UPS APC.  After seeing the devices listed, I took the system back down and then disconnected the mouse and the UPS device.  Did this thinking the HAL error might have to do with a UPS or mouse conflict.

Now thinking the failure is due to one of two things.  The shear size of the restore, or possibly a conflict with the UPS and/or mouse while doing the restore.

So, I followed some instructions about doing a backup with the data from ibays, shared folders and users data directorys moved to temp.  This created a very small console backup.

I now installed sme 9.2 on new drives and then when it asked for the device to restore, I plugged in the US device, it found the smeserver restore file and proceeded to finish to the reboot server.  Upon rebooting, the server came up and I was able to log in with the 8.2 admin credentials and access the server console.  I now had the base settings/users/ all set up but needed to transfer all the data over.

Took down 9.2 and reconnected the drives holding 8.2.  Once booted up I when to the web administration panel and did a back to work station which took about 3 hours.  Once down, I took down 8.2 and reconnected 9.2 and booted back up.  Once 9.2 was up, I logged into the web administration panel and configured the workstation backup with the same settings as I had set in 8.2.   Then connected the 8.2 backup and selected restore from workstation.

A message noted that this should be done on a fresh install.  Went ahead and clicked proceed and left for a few hours.  Returned to find the restore finished successfully so I selected reboot the server.  It went down and then rebooted saying updating configuration.  After it was back up, logged in successfully and everything was there as it should be.

Then proceeded to install the contribs that were needed, ibay letters, shared folders, crontab manager,  etc.  All data files are accounted for, samba config settings I verified are exactly as they were on 8.2 and all permissions are correct.

I do not know if it was a drive flaw or a conflict with the mouse or UPS devices initially.  All I know is the server is back up and running without issues for the last 7 days.

One thing I did not do is install the APC UPS rpms and am instead using NUT to monitor the APC UPS I have on the server.

I would like to thank all the people out there that contribute to the wiki and post their knowledge on how they accomplished things when there were obstacles to work thru.

My next goal is to get a contrib together for the Ibackup online backup service.  The service has worked very well for me, but is all command line at this time and I think being able to access it via the web adminstration console would make it easier for more people to use.

Thanks again everyone!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:10:54 PM by Sparkey »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 01:38:36 AM »
Nicely documented..someone else will benefit sometime in the future, good job.
--
qui scribit bis legit