Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hardware Suggestions for SME 9.2

Offline alanh

• +0/-0
Hardware Suggestions for SME 9.2
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:37:29 AM »
I have SME server 8 running on a simple system with Gigabyte mainboard (Intel i5), 2 x 2TB drives, 8GB RAM (installed in 2011) - it's due an upgrade to 9.2 plus new hardware -  I presume if I get a new box with say a quad core Kaby Lake i5 and 16GB and a reasonable Gigabyte mainboard that it would meet the hardware requirements?  We have around say 20 users on at any given time. Just wanting some opinions before I jump in and do this. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Offline craig

• +0/-0
Re: Hardware Suggestions for SME 9.2
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »
Hi Alan,

The SME servers I'm still involved with now, are performing networking services (DHCP & DNS) and file sharing (Samba). From memory all are HP Microservers (typically the Gen8 Celeron model, with one older Gen7 AMD N54L), with anything between 4 and 16GB RAM, and 2TB to 8TB SATA RAID 1.

I haven't seen any noticeable performance change between version 8 and 9 on the same hardware for the tasks we do, presumably as the hardware specs of the servers aren't close to the minimum requirements.

Having said that, I'm aware that whilst it looks like you are way clear of any minimum requirements as well, if you are performing different workloads like DB / Web / VoIP etc... then you might be in a different situation.

Hope the above helps.

Craig.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:26:44 AM »
I don't know what are you using SME for (and you don't mention it), but as Craig said, for 20 users an HP microserver is enough.

I have a VM running full featured email server with SOGo3 for 220 users with 10 GB RAM and it doesn't use any swap.

just 2 suggestions more:
- use only RHEL/Centos certified HW (for RHEL/CEntos 6).. buy brand machines
- forget about kaby lake and all shining bleeding edge hw

HTH

Offline craig

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:22:37 PM »
Ditto Stefano,

I'd always look for compatibility and reliability first in a business situation. That was the main reason for the HP Microservers, and they have all been rock-solid.

I'll have to check the RHEL compatibility list for entry level servers myself, it's been ages since I last looked.

Craig

Offline alanh

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:19:37 PM »
Basically we are just using it for our database software - no email, web or anything else - so maybe 20 to 25 instances of the software running at any one time.