Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

using affa to move to new server [RESOLVED]

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
using affa to move to new server [RESOLVED]
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
I am going to be using affa to move from SME 8.2 to SME 9.2
When installing SME 9.2 on the new server should I configure the new server as server only, or server-gateway, or doesn't it make any difference. When everything is done it needs to be in server-gateway mode.
TIA
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:24:05 PM by crazybob »
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline Arnaud

• +0/-0
    • GuedeL
Re: using affa to move to new server
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »
It doen't matter: after the "affa --rise", the new server will have the same configuration than the old one.

But for practicability, I would set the fresh installed new server as server-only as a member of the LAN of the old server, for the backup ("affa --run") and restore ("affa --rise") .

2 things are important:
- when the new server reboots at the end of the "affa --rise", the old server must be switched off / disconnected from the new one.
- the restored new server (=sme9) will have yum configured for the old server (=sme8) => this must be reconfigured for sme9 after the reboot, before the next "yum update". Therefore, the yum conf file for sme9 should be backuped before the server reboots and restored after the reboot. 

Good luck!

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
Re: using affa to move to new server
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to be sure.
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!