Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How Do I Set Read Only To A File From A Windows Work Station

Greg Plater

How Do I Set Read Only To A File From A Windows Work Station
« on: September 06, 2002, 04:46:37 AM »
Hi

I have been trying to set read only to some files in my local ibay but when i try so from a win98 work station i get an error saying unable to set file attributes. I have looked at the smb.conf file. Does anyone have an answer to this issue.

Regards
Greg

BillN

Re: How Do I Set Read Only To A File From A Windows Work Sta
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 09:56:31 PM »
Sounds like the user you are logged on as does not have rights to modify the files in that ibay.

Try to log in as root at the 98 PC and see if it will let you, or, change the permissions of the ibay to allow your user to modify the files.

BillN

Greg Plater

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2002, 01:58:53 AM »
I have Checked The options for the ibays and the group all seem to be set fine still it wont allow me to change anyfile to read only. Still looking for an answer if anyone can help.

Jim Huneycutt

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 05:54:44 AM »
Greg, I am having the same problem. I have an application where e-Smith is a file server that replaced a Win2K server. The users are mapped to an iBay for all of their file storage. One user Windows program seems to be trying to change the attributes of a file to read only and fails. Did you solve this problem? I have tried all varieties of permission settings and I can't solve this.

Thanks,
jim