Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

General - Roaming profile sync issues and Folder redirection alternative

Offline tw-lewis

• +0/-0
Last one from me,

This is regarding our formidable "roaming profiles", I know most people will say this is technology that even Microsoft has abandoned but we still see a need for some kind of client file backup and management. So we have been developing "Folder redirection" to replace this feature. I am interested in hearing other peoples experiences around this topic and have worked on their own solutions for this?

If there is high interest in "Folder redirection" we will be posting the code on Gitlab shortly.

Regards
Lewis - TW

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: General - Roaming profile sync issues and Folder redirection alternative
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:25:56 AM »
if you're working on a scritpt/contrib for SME, you're more than welcome.. please open a NFR in bugzilla and post there your code

thank you

Offline tw-lewis

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
Thanks will do!

Hoping to hear from some more people about there solutions/workarounds :), There may be something already out there someone is using.

Either way, we are successfully using folder redirection for a few of our clients with our custom scripts but they will need work prior to me asking for it to be added as a replacement or additional feature to "roaming profiles".

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
Thanks will do!

Hoping to hear from some more people about there solutions/workarounds :), There may be something already out there someone is using.

Either way, we are successfully using folder redirection for a few of our clients with our custom scripts but they will need work prior to me asking for it to be added as a replacement or additional feature to "roaming profiles".
even if you do not feel it ready to replace, it still could be an interesting alternative for some, so do not hesitate to shoot !
You do not have to provide the full complete solution at the first try, and sometime releasing it helps improving it thanks to others feedbacks and suggestions.