Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

General - Issues and solutions dealing with Office 2016 and SOGo's MAPI setup

Offline tw-lewis

• +0/-0
Hello Community,

I am hoping to spark a general discussion around other peoples findings and resolutions to Outlook 2016 "desyncing" with IMAP and the alternative Sogo's MAPI (Activesync).

From our findings, it's safe to say that a lot of services running IMAP are having issues with the newer Office products around keeping data up to date and lack of features that clients are now expecting (contacts and calendars). We have looked into and trialed Sogo's Activesync (MAPI) interface to simulate an exchange server but we have found this to be slow, lacking shared calendars/contacts and generally unresponsive under the current SME SOGo repo.

I would like to hear anyone else's experiences around this and there workaround or solutions. Heck, I would be happy if I was told it was all me and I am missing some configuration or other product!

Teams for reading
Lewis - TW

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
in my experience, forget about activesync

you'd better use a caldav/cardav plugin to deal with addressbook and calendars, even on mobile devices

and, of course, move away from outlook if you can

Offline tw-lewis

• +0/-0
Thank you, Stefano for the quick feedback.

From experience with 3rd party add-ons/plugins, they vary in stability. for example (Outlook CalDav Synchronizer) for windows has been our go-to application for a while, now with the latest package release, it added some features that delete old entrees and has decided to remove everyone's calendar entries. This is a localized case so could still be down to user error and of course, we would point the client away from Outlook if possible but as you will know it's hard these days with outlook dependent apps and the marketing of Windows.

May I ask what the reasoning is to forget about ActiveSync? While testing standalone versions of SOGo/Samba4 that have this feature I have grown to like it myself :). Happy to be convinced otherwise.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Activesync implementations outside M$ are often prone to errors, due to the fact that M$ changes their sw behaviour (too) often.
my 2c