Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Slow network search from Windows 10

Offline 79schultz

• +0/-0
Slow network search from Windows 10
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »
I have this very annoying issue where in Windows 10 when I do a search on our SME Server, it is extremely slow. I have downloaded and merged the Win10Samba registry settings. We are running SME Server 9.2 on our server and I am running Windows 10 Pro 1709 Build 16299.192. What is so frustrating to me is that other computers on the network will do a search lightning fast.

Any ideas?

Offline piran

• +0/-0
Re: Slow network search from Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
>> Any ideas?
Use one of the unspecified other computers to conduct your search?

searching for what and how? SMB or PuTTY?
SMB v1 set on W10?
NIC negotiated speed downrated?
faulty NIC?
bad cable?
intranet QOS kicking in?
managed switch downspeeding?
different subnet?
network traffic congestion
network block size?
SquidGuard (IP not whitelisted)?
and so much more...

You may think the first suggestion overly flippant but given the dearth of provided detail it may be the most appropriate ...certainly is the simplest:-)

Offline 79schultz

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »
I'll answer the questions I can, but I think it was something faulty in Windows. I came back to work Monday morning and I had an error message that said The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use right now. Try connecting later or contact your system administrator.. Long story short, I called Dell Tech Support and the tech I spoke with had never seen the message neither had his engineer seen it. After two hours on the phone, we had resorted to re-installing Windows. My searches now work fine on the SME server from Windows.

Just for the record:
searching for what and how? SMB or PuTTY? SMB
SMB v1 set on W10? I don't recall what it was set at.
NIC negotiated speed downrated? Not to my knowledge
faulty NIC? I wasn't having any other network problems so I doubt that was it.
bad cable? Same answer as above
intranet QOS kicking in? I don't know, but doubt it.
managed switch downspeeding? I don't know, but doubt it.
different subnet? No, all on the same subnet.
network traffic congestion I didn't monitor that, but I doubt it, we have 15-20 computers in the building and our router is a SonicWall TZ 500, well capable to handle the traffic.
network block size? I don't have the answer for that one.
SquidGuard (IP not whitelisted)? I know nothing about SquidGuard.

One thing that I am shying away from for now, is signing in to my computer with a Microsoft account. I'm using only a local administrator account (after the re-installation). I'm suspicious (can't really prove anything) that signing in with a Microsoft account put some restrictions on my machine that I wasn't able to control.

Offline piran

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
With the SMB connectivity method a common user name on the server and networked winbox makes things pretty straightforward.

Puzzled over your error message... Someone else attempting to use your 'account' from another machine at the same time? You'd only only notice a concurrent connections message (say in HTOP) using the PuTTY connectivity method.

Not sure about your reservations with regard to signing in with a Microsoft account though permanently using admin account rights does make you more susceptible to allowing attack vectors more access to your stuff.

Offline 79schultz

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
I believe the error message really had nothing to do with SME. I had run a chkdsk on my machine over the weekend and I think something went really wrong in that process.

As to someone else using my 'account' concurrently, I doubt it as I'm the only one in the building that has access to all user names/accounts on the SME Server and I didn't set up any other machine with my user name.

Offline piran

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »
OK, looks like you and Dell have it adequately covered.

One last thought though... possibility of a malware iteration on your previous build (pre re-installation) phoning home and/or delivering some accumulated stuff.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 06:29:01 AM »
Not all that uncommon it seems.

See here for one solution to resolve the error message:

"The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use right now. Try connecting later or contact your system administrator"

https://www.kapilarya.com/the-number-of-connections-to-this-computer-is-limited-windows-10
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline piran

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »
Good point. Never used Remote Desktop Connection (in several decades). OP appears to be site admin so, if RDC allows multiple connx, the same vector might explain the observed slowdown. As OP later reported - not SME.