Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Local Domains and smtp

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Local Domains and smtp
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »
The central issue is how to get SME to send a copy of every mail, both incoming and outgoing, to that local archive box.
Every attempt ended with all mail getting sent to his smarthost, including the copy mails destined for the local archiver box.

But the command
db domains setprop archive.dc.local MailServer 212.*.*.*
tells the SME server mail system to forward all mail processing for the domain
archive.dc.local
to the server at 212.*.*.*

This should be all that is necessary.
It's not a hard thing to do, I have done it before & it works fine.
I believe Gordon Rowell added this functionality many years ago.

AFAICT Drifting probably has some resolution issues on his network, the pilar server is not being seen by the SME server (my guess).
SME server usually acts as the gateway, so all mail is processed by SME server in a typical LAN.
If you want certain mail for a certain domain to be processed by another server, the steps I outlined are the way to do it, including how the other domain is configured on the SME server.

It would be good if Drifting answered the various questions posed as the answers are pertinent.

Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 01:01:42 PM »
Drifting

So you are using the wrong IP in the MailServer command

Try

db domains setprop archive.dc.local MailServer 10.0.0.7
signal-event email-update

Mail for the domain archive.dc.local should then be forwarded to the piler server that is on your LAN

You still need to remove the Hostname entry for archive.dc.local in SME server manager
and add archive.dc.local in the Domains panel on SME server, configured as I suggested before
& (I think) add the archive user in SME server manager User panel
so that the email address archive@archive.dc.local will resolve

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »
Drifting

So you are using the wrong IP in the MailServer command

Try

db domains setprop archive.dc.local MailServer 10.0.0.7
signal-event email-update

Mail for the domain archive.dc.local should then be forwarded to the piler server that is on your LAN

You still need to remove the Hostname entry for archive.dc.local in SME server manager
and add archive.dc.local in the Domains panel on SME server, configured as I suggested before
& (I think) add the archive user in SME server manager User panel
so that the email address archive@archive.dc.local will resolve

Actually I must have been on a good day, I understood that part, and did in fact put in the right address, which was 10.0.0.7 as explained before.
Trying to type this on my phone is not fun, but I will try your suggestions as soon as I can and report back.

Regards Paul.
Infamy, Infamy, they all have it in for me!

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »
Hi

Just a quick update. Mail seems to be flowing into the archiver, however I believe the web interface on the piler (archive) server requires it to resolve as archive.dc.local, so I can login as such but then it does nothing.

With the settings that are suggested, archive.dc.local now resolves to the SME server, and a ping responds with the SME servers address. Sorry getting a bit confused with the changes that were suggested. Have I done something wrong? or was this a solution to the mail not being bounced?

Regards Paul.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 03:37:16 AM »
Drifting

Your SME server receives all mail for all domains it supports, in effect it is the mail gateway.
The piler archive mail is forwarded on to the piler archive mail server for further processing, rather than being processed & delivered by SME mail server.

You cannot have two mail servers responding to the same domain name, it won't work or results will be inconsistent.

So it is correct that archive.dc.local resolves to the SME server, and correct that a ping responds with the SME servers address, as that's how it is set up.

If you want to access the archive mail sever web interface directly then use the piler server LAN IP, or you could rearrange your config so that the web requests resolve to archive.dc.local, but didn't you say earlier that you did not want archive.dc.local exposed to Internet.

You could add a www setting in the Hostnames panel on SME & point it at the piler server eg www.archive.dc.local, that will possibly achieve what you want
ie I assume you want LAN access only via web interface to archive.dc.local

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
Hi all.

Just to let you know I have given up on this, had too many other issues with the way it was working.

So now the burning questions of the day, how to I put things back? Am I correct in thinking that I should remove the achive,dc.local under domains, and also remove the "config setprop qpsmtpd Bcc enabled BccMode bcc
signal-event email-update"

Do I assume you just change enabled to disabled? Did a brief look at the docs but could not see a reference to it, not being lazy, just got really poor eyesight. Takes me ages to find anything!

Are there any other items from what was suggested that I should remove?

Regards Paul

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:55:57 PM by janet »