Re: PPTP and Iphones
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
Knowing you, I thought so.. :-)

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
Not a novel, just the images and limited text, should be enough :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
Just as a note, Softether is working wonderful for me with both native clients on OS X and Android. No problem whatsoever.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 04:09:27 AM »
Hi Guys,

I had done that as well...I will try again. Is that all that's needed then? Are all the mods in the http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,52134.0.html regarding DHCP not needed? and all we have to do is to follow the contrib instructions?

thanks

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 06:03:10 AM »
Hi Guys,

I had done that as well...I will try again. Is that all that's needed then? Are all the mods in the http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,52134.0.html regarding DHCP not needed? and all we have to do is to follow the contrib instructions?

thanks

Do not follow the forum post and its configuration changes..

Follow the wiki..note warning re port 443 , for sever only, port forwarding must also be configured in your modem/router to your servers ip.

Currently 4 systems working with Softether, 2 server/gateway, 2 server only, 1 still sme8, all working fine..

added: the ip range in the virtual dhcp setup has to be a block that matches the network you are joining

Excuse me if I am spoon feeding you :-)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:13:23 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 06:23:32 AM »
I can confirm that the following native/default VPN clients work with Softether (so no additional software required)

- OS X 10.12.6
- Android 6.0

Anybody else can confirm other client devices/software?

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 06:27:39 AM »
I can confirm that the following native/default VPN clients work with Softether (so no additional software required)

- OS X 10.12.6
- Android 6.0

Anybody else can confirm other client devices/software?

Windows 7 and 10, also android 5.0
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 06:31:14 AM »
Windows 7 and 10, also android 5.0

Thanks Terry. The Windows boxes, do they connect using MS-SSTP?

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
Do not follow the forum post and its configuration changes..

Follow the wiki..note warning re port 443 , for sever only, port forwarding must also be configured in your modem/router to your servers ip.

Currently 4 systems working with Softether, 2 server/gateway, 2 server only, 1 still sme8, all working fine..

added: the ip range in the virtual dhcp setup has to be a block that matches the network you are joining

Excuse me if I am spoon feeding you :-)

Hi TerryF,

no trouble, I need all the help I can get. Just so I understand 100%:

I am a bit confused about the picture you've put on the wiki:

Virtual host NIC settings (on the left): are those the existing settings of the local LAN?

Virtual DHCP server settings (on the right): are those the new settings used by the VPN server?

thanks again...and sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been at this for 2 days now and brain is a bit fried now..

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »
I am a bit confused about the picture you've put on the wiki:

Virtual host NIC settings (on the left): are those the existing settings of the local LAN?

This is the virtual network setting for the Virtual Host ie the VPN Server virtual nic that you will be connecting to, leave it alone the defaults just work :-)

Virtual DHCP server settings (on the right): are those the new settings used by the VPN server?

thanks again...and sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been at this for 2 days now and brain is a bit fried now..

This is the virtual DHCP server settings, yes they are used by the VPN server to allocate an ip address to an incoming connection.

The ip address range is in the remote network range eg the remote system shown is bschclassroom.dyndns.org, its local network is 192.168.22.# its gateway (modem/router) is at 192.168.22.254, I have chosen a block 192.168.22.210-220

Remote system/road warrior etc will then have an ip allocated to their vpn connection that allows access to network resources in the Network of the system they are connecting to.

Added: Should add the server only mode systems I am connecting to do not have dhcp enabled, that is looked after by the modem/router, hence why the need for the virtual one. and as with all things more than just what I say  https://www.softether.org/index.php?title=4-docs/1-manual/3._SoftEther_VPN_Server_Manual/3.7_Virtual_NAT_%26_Virtual_DHCP_Servers#3.7.6_Points_to_Note_when_using_the_Virtual_DHCP_Server
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:44:12 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
OK Terry, thanks for that, Will leave the settings on the left alone and obviously, one adjusts the settings on the right to suit his/her own existing network. The 2 will then route packets between themselves. Also, one should choose settings that do not conflict with SME own DHCP scope, that is we need to choose from - to addresses that are outside the ones given by the sme server...

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »
My server only settings are no DHCP, the modem/router handles that.

If you want to access the server and network resources of the remote system, where the VPN server is, you need to allocate a block of numbers, eg my #.#.#.210-220..

All my server/gateway systems allocate ips and route vpn traffic to the local lan with no issues and default setup, its just the server only that has needed the fiddling :-)

I am puzzled why your sme server server only is NOT allocating an ip to the incoming vpn connection if it has its DHCP function set to on and has a ip range allocated accordingly.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
Might be time to go back to the start :-)

What brand etc is your gateway, ie modem/router

What are its network settings ip's etc

What are your servers ip and dhcp ip settings

Is there anything between the two?

You obviously have connectivity for the management interface to work....

I see you are using iPhones, black magic to me :-) all my experience to date is with Windows and Android..

HF you have played with Mr Apple and Softether, any ideas?

If you don't mind can I try connecting? email details if you are OK
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:39:48 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 10:49:26 AM »
OK cool.

router 192.168.0.254   255.255.255.0 usually tplink. I have forwarded all ports as per wiki to sme
sme    192.168.0.1  usually sme does dhcp, but I can have the router do that, no trouble at all.

nothing in between, everything is kept easy and simple.

Iphones will work as long as the VPN is L2TP/Ipsec as I have connected them to VPN routers in that fashion.

Sorry..the issue was the SME not allocating IPs to the local LAN, VPN was fine. Maybe I should get the router to do DHCP work then?

thanks

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »
I am far from an expert, but have always set modem/router to be the dhcp server and have always set sme server to not do dhcp in server only mode.

I have always presumed, bad I know, that in server only mode sme was not able to route traffic apart from it also not being the gateway..

Still doesn't explain why your system is not assigning an ip in the network as it has dhcp duties..

When you connect to the vpn server, due you get the creation of two Ethernet connections, one local and one for the vpn?
What ips do they have?
Is it just one? What ip?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:33:39 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit