Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PPTP and Iphones

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
PPTP and Iphones
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
Hi all,

A client has an issue with reps that can't VPN when they hotspot through their Iphones. After researching, I found that Apple (in their infinite wisdom) have dropped PPTP support since ios10.x These phones were recently updaed from ios 9.x. The only way to use IPhones as hotspots is to VPN to an L2TP server.

They have an SME 9.2 box in server only mode. What is everyone using in terms of VPN software?

Thank you and best to all

gb

Online TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: PPTP and Iphones
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
Softether will provide what you are after in server only mode..see wiki for details
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 02:26:37 AM »
After researching, I found that Apple (in their infinite wisdom) have dropped PPTP support since ios10.x
Good, should have been done some time ago.  I run OpenVPN on my router (a pfSense box).

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 02:34:10 AM »
I'd agree ppp should have been killed years ago. Best thing Apple ever did.

Check my ipsec/l2tpd attempt.

See the wiki and ask if you have any questions.

B. Rgds
Johm
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:48:51 AM »
Hi guys,

thanks for the reply, It just came as a bit of a shock when users couldn't vpn into their offices, that's all.
I have installed SoftEther on my test box at home and so far is working fine, if all goes well, I will implement it on monday morning at client/s..
It seems pretty easy to setup..Will let you know how it goes.
thanks again and best to all

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »
Thanks again..one small problem..DHCP not working anymore...

guest22

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »
Little more info please. How is DHCP setup on SME and what is the number of pptp connections. What do the logs tell you?

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
Guys,
I know that you're trying your best and you try to develop this in your own time etc, and I do really appreciate it, but there is not enough info on the subject especially for people with little knowledge of VPNs.
Unfortunately I had to opt for a vpn router (that I know how to configure in minutes) because I spent the whole day searching and researching, installing and uninstalling. That was the most cost effective way of doing things at this point in time.
Thanks again for all the help/suggestions

guest22

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »
As long as you are up and running stable. You must have missed something for Softether with SME9.2 is running production in several places.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
I could connect no trouble at all, but the local LAN couldn't get any IPs from the server. I could get by putting LAN PCs on static IPs, but that's a bit of a pain...

guest22

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »
Maybe you want to still try and see if can set it up on a test environment. Your experiences would be valuable for the wiki.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
Absolutely, I will definitely try and share any info for sure..I am in the process of compiling a how-to guide to have an SME server as a smart host for an exchange server. I have installed about 4 in the last couple of months and found some hiccups that were overcome...

Online TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
I could connect no trouble at all, but the local LAN couldn't get any IPs from the server. I could get by putting LAN PCs on static IPs, but that's a bit of a pain...

I have found that when in server only mode then you need to enable the Virtual NAT and Virtual DHCP function of Softether, setup ip range as required..

See attached image
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:04:08 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
I guess it's wiki time Terry... ;-)

Online TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0