Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PPTP and Iphones

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
PPTP and Iphones
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
Hi all,

A client has an issue with reps that can't VPN when they hotspot through their Iphones. After researching, I found that Apple (in their infinite wisdom) have dropped PPTP support since ios10.x These phones were recently updaed from ios 9.x. The only way to use IPhones as hotspots is to VPN to an L2TP server.

They have an SME 9.2 box in server only mode. What is everyone using in terms of VPN software?

Thank you and best to all

gb

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: PPTP and Iphones
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
Softether will provide what you are after in server only mode..see wiki for details
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 02:26:37 AM »
After researching, I found that Apple (in their infinite wisdom) have dropped PPTP support since ios10.x
Good, should have been done some time ago.  I run OpenVPN on my router (a pfSense box).

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 02:34:10 AM »
I'd agree ppp should have been killed years ago. Best thing Apple ever did.

Check my ipsec/l2tpd attempt.

See the wiki and ask if you have any questions.

B. Rgds
Johm
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:48:51 AM »
Hi guys,

thanks for the reply, It just came as a bit of a shock when users couldn't vpn into their offices, that's all.
I have installed SoftEther on my test box at home and so far is working fine, if all goes well, I will implement it on monday morning at client/s..
It seems pretty easy to setup..Will let you know how it goes.
thanks again and best to all

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »
Thanks again..one small problem..DHCP not working anymore...

guest22

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »
Little more info please. How is DHCP setup on SME and what is the number of pptp connections. What do the logs tell you?

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
Guys,
I know that you're trying your best and you try to develop this in your own time etc, and I do really appreciate it, but there is not enough info on the subject especially for people with little knowledge of VPNs.
Unfortunately I had to opt for a vpn router (that I know how to configure in minutes) because I spent the whole day searching and researching, installing and uninstalling. That was the most cost effective way of doing things at this point in time.
Thanks again for all the help/suggestions

guest22

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »
As long as you are up and running stable. You must have missed something for Softether with SME9.2 is running production in several places.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
I could connect no trouble at all, but the local LAN couldn't get any IPs from the server. I could get by putting LAN PCs on static IPs, but that's a bit of a pain...

guest22

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »
Maybe you want to still try and see if can set it up on a test environment. Your experiences would be valuable for the wiki.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
Absolutely, I will definitely try and share any info for sure..I am in the process of compiling a how-to guide to have an SME server as a smart host for an exchange server. I have installed about 4 in the last couple of months and found some hiccups that were overcome...

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
I could connect no trouble at all, but the local LAN couldn't get any IPs from the server. I could get by putting LAN PCs on static IPs, but that's a bit of a pain...

I have found that when in server only mode then you need to enable the Virtual NAT and Virtual DHCP function of Softether, setup ip range as required..

See attached image
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:04:08 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
I guess it's wiki time Terry... ;-)

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
I guess it's wiki time Terry... ;-)

:-) done it as you typed :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
Knowing you, I thought so.. :-)

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
Not a novel, just the images and limited text, should be enough :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
Just as a note, Softether is working wonderful for me with both native clients on OS X and Android. No problem whatsoever.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 04:09:27 AM »
Hi Guys,

I had done that as well...I will try again. Is that all that's needed then? Are all the mods in the http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,52134.0.html regarding DHCP not needed? and all we have to do is to follow the contrib instructions?

thanks

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 06:03:10 AM »
Hi Guys,

I had done that as well...I will try again. Is that all that's needed then? Are all the mods in the http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,52134.0.html regarding DHCP not needed? and all we have to do is to follow the contrib instructions?

thanks

Do not follow the forum post and its configuration changes..

Follow the wiki..note warning re port 443 , for sever only, port forwarding must also be configured in your modem/router to your servers ip.

Currently 4 systems working with Softether, 2 server/gateway, 2 server only, 1 still sme8, all working fine..

added: the ip range in the virtual dhcp setup has to be a block that matches the network you are joining

Excuse me if I am spoon feeding you :-)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:13:23 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 06:23:32 AM »
I can confirm that the following native/default VPN clients work with Softether (so no additional software required)

- OS X 10.12.6
- Android 6.0

Anybody else can confirm other client devices/software?

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 06:27:39 AM »
I can confirm that the following native/default VPN clients work with Softether (so no additional software required)

- OS X 10.12.6
- Android 6.0

Anybody else can confirm other client devices/software?

Windows 7 and 10, also android 5.0
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 06:31:14 AM »
Windows 7 and 10, also android 5.0

Thanks Terry. The Windows boxes, do they connect using MS-SSTP?

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
Do not follow the forum post and its configuration changes..

Follow the wiki..note warning re port 443 , for sever only, port forwarding must also be configured in your modem/router to your servers ip.

Currently 4 systems working with Softether, 2 server/gateway, 2 server only, 1 still sme8, all working fine..

added: the ip range in the virtual dhcp setup has to be a block that matches the network you are joining

Excuse me if I am spoon feeding you :-)

Hi TerryF,

no trouble, I need all the help I can get. Just so I understand 100%:

I am a bit confused about the picture you've put on the wiki:

Virtual host NIC settings (on the left): are those the existing settings of the local LAN?

Virtual DHCP server settings (on the right): are those the new settings used by the VPN server?

thanks again...and sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been at this for 2 days now and brain is a bit fried now..

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »
I am a bit confused about the picture you've put on the wiki:

Virtual host NIC settings (on the left): are those the existing settings of the local LAN?

This is the virtual network setting for the Virtual Host ie the VPN Server virtual nic that you will be connecting to, leave it alone the defaults just work :-)

Virtual DHCP server settings (on the right): are those the new settings used by the VPN server?

thanks again...and sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been at this for 2 days now and brain is a bit fried now..

This is the virtual DHCP server settings, yes they are used by the VPN server to allocate an ip address to an incoming connection.

The ip address range is in the remote network range eg the remote system shown is bschclassroom.dyndns.org, its local network is 192.168.22.# its gateway (modem/router) is at 192.168.22.254, I have chosen a block 192.168.22.210-220

Remote system/road warrior etc will then have an ip allocated to their vpn connection that allows access to network resources in the Network of the system they are connecting to.

Added: Should add the server only mode systems I am connecting to do not have dhcp enabled, that is looked after by the modem/router, hence why the need for the virtual one. and as with all things more than just what I say  https://www.softether.org/index.php?title=4-docs/1-manual/3._SoftEther_VPN_Server_Manual/3.7_Virtual_NAT_%26_Virtual_DHCP_Servers#3.7.6_Points_to_Note_when_using_the_Virtual_DHCP_Server
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:44:12 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
OK Terry, thanks for that, Will leave the settings on the left alone and obviously, one adjusts the settings on the right to suit his/her own existing network. The 2 will then route packets between themselves. Also, one should choose settings that do not conflict with SME own DHCP scope, that is we need to choose from - to addresses that are outside the ones given by the sme server...

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »
My server only settings are no DHCP, the modem/router handles that.

If you want to access the server and network resources of the remote system, where the VPN server is, you need to allocate a block of numbers, eg my #.#.#.210-220..

All my server/gateway systems allocate ips and route vpn traffic to the local lan with no issues and default setup, its just the server only that has needed the fiddling :-)

I am puzzled why your sme server server only is NOT allocating an ip to the incoming vpn connection if it has its DHCP function set to on and has a ip range allocated accordingly.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
Might be time to go back to the start :-)

What brand etc is your gateway, ie modem/router

What are its network settings ip's etc

What are your servers ip and dhcp ip settings

Is there anything between the two?

You obviously have connectivity for the management interface to work....

I see you are using iPhones, black magic to me :-) all my experience to date is with Windows and Android..

HF you have played with Mr Apple and Softether, any ideas?

If you don't mind can I try connecting? email details if you are OK
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:39:48 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 10:49:26 AM »
OK cool.

router 192.168.0.254   255.255.255.0 usually tplink. I have forwarded all ports as per wiki to sme
sme    192.168.0.1  usually sme does dhcp, but I can have the router do that, no trouble at all.

nothing in between, everything is kept easy and simple.

Iphones will work as long as the VPN is L2TP/Ipsec as I have connected them to VPN routers in that fashion.

Sorry..the issue was the SME not allocating IPs to the local LAN, VPN was fine. Maybe I should get the router to do DHCP work then?

thanks

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »
I am far from an expert, but have always set modem/router to be the dhcp server and have always set sme server to not do dhcp in server only mode.

I have always presumed, bad I know, that in server only mode sme was not able to route traffic apart from it also not being the gateway..

Still doesn't explain why your system is not assigning an ip in the network as it has dhcp duties..

When you connect to the vpn server, due you get the creation of two Ethernet connections, one local and one for the vpn?
What ips do they have?
Is it just one? What ip?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:33:39 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
I once messed up a corporate network by enabling the DHCP service on one of my very first RedHat 5.x boxes on the corporate network within the same subnet. That was fun!!! ......

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 01:52:18 AM »
:-) mate I am no networking guru, just bumble along until it works, when it doesn't work go back and start again.

Have gone back into what is actually  five softether installations, 1 x VM server only, 2 x standalone server only, 2 x standalone server/gateway. Softether install is as per wiki.

Of the two in server only mode, both with DHCP disabled, both with ports forwarded to localhost, both modem/routers have port forwarded to the sme ip - 1 has to have the virtual nat enabled to work the other does not, the only difference between the two is the brand of modem-router. 1 x TPlink, 1 x Billion, the billion is a 7700N R2 needs the virtual nat.

Theres some food for thought for you bosco555
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:54:20 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 05:06:02 AM »
Just curious, did you try the LDAP part yet?

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 05:15:58 AM »
Just curious, did you try the LDAP part yet?

No..is it worthwhile..
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 05:18:17 AM »
No..is it worthwhile..

Dunno, I'm using it and was curious if somebody else does. Obviously permissions like PPTP options in server-manager are not present, but then again the VPN Manager of Softether provides some options.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »
Standby for a tryout :-) certainly has its advantages.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

Managed to get it working. Remote devices can VPN to the SME through Iphone hotspots

I found that you have to do all the db portforward_tcp rules on the sme server from the command line,

and that the remote device gets an IP address, but doesn't get a gateway. Need to test further to see what the issue is.

guest22

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »
Hi Guys,

Managed to get it working. Remote devices can VPN to the SME through Iphone hotspots

I found that you have to do all the db portforward_tcp rules on the sme server from the command line,

and that the remote device gets an IP address, but doesn't get a gateway. Need to test further to see what the issue is.

Congrats, good it is working. Can you provide details on the commands you have used and other stuff you did please?

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
Sure thing, they are those in the wiki, namely:

#############################################
db portforward_tcp set 1194 forward Comment 'SoftEther OpenVPN' DestHost localhost DestPort 1194 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_tcp set 5555 forward Comment 'SoftEther Management' DestHost localhost DestPort 5555 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_udp set 1194 forward Comment 'SoftEther OpenVPN' DestHost localhost DestPort 1194 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_udp set 500 forward Comment 'SoftEther SoftEther L2TP/IPSec' DestHost localhost DestPort 500 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_udp set 1701 forward Comment 'SoftEther SoftEther L2TP/IPSec' DestHost localhost DestPort 1701 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_udp set 4500 forward Comment 'SoftEther SoftEther L2TP/IPSec' DestHost localhost DestPort 4500 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
signal-event portforwarding-update

Basically followed the wiki to the "T"

Set SME server NOT to provide DHCP and configured the router to do that. Also opened the above ports on the router and forwarded as per wiki to the SME server.
Keep in mind to keep the IP-sec pre-shared key to 8 characters or less.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »

Seriously ??? !!!!
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
Seriously ??? !!!!
Well if you want to write a novel in there, then do the extra work, but I wasn't prepared to do that as I was pressed for time. Also, it works just as it is, so I'm not going to try to break it for the sake of extra characters, not at this stage at least.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »
Well if you want to write a novel in there, then do the extra work, but I wasn't prepared to do that as I was pressed for time. Also, it works just as it is, so I'm not going to try to break it for the sake of extra characters, not at this stage at least.

No, my point was is that a limitation of the software, or just a comment ?

Just to make it absolutely clear for other users.

If it is a limitation of the software then that's pretty poor IMHO, and may put off other users.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki

guest22

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »
No, my point was is that a limitation of the software, or just a comment ?

Just to make it absolutely clear for other users.

If it is a limitation of the software then that's pretty poor IMHO, and may put off other users.

This is a limitation of Softether. Pre-shared key is limited to 9 characters atm. A request has been made to expand this.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »
Hahaha...no trouble, yes it is a limitation, but there is a workaround, look in the wiki just below the radius authentication heading...Sorry I stand corrected it was 9 characters. In any event, the software will warn you when you are over the limit.

guest22

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »
Sure thing, they are those in the wiki, namely:

db portforward_tcp set 1194 forward Comment 'SoftEther OpenVPN' DestHost localhost DestPort 1194 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_tcp set 5555 forward Comment 'SoftEther Management' DestHost localhost DestPort 5555 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_udp set 1194 forward Comment 'SoftEther OpenVPN' DestHost localhost DestPort 1194 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_udp set 500 forward Comment 'SoftEther SoftEther L2TP/IPSec' DestHost localhost DestPort 500 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_udp set 1701 forward Comment 'SoftEther SoftEther L2TP/IPSec' DestHost localhost DestPort 1701 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
db portforward_udp set 4500 forward Comment 'SoftEther SoftEther L2TP/IPSec' DestHost localhost DestPort 4500 AllowHosts ' ' DenyHosts ' '
signal-event portforwarding-update

Basically followed the wiki to the "T"

Set SME server NOT to provide DHCP and configured the router to do that. Also opened the above ports on the router and forwarded as per wiki to the SME server.

hehe, I wrote that part :)

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
Preshared key was kept to 9 to accommodate possible issues with some android versions borking at 10 or more, as HF said hopefully next release will allow anything you want :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2017, 03:25:34 PM »
Don't forget, the radius authentication of PPTP on SME Server was designed for authentication of PPTPD clients only where users can authenticate against their normal password and the request is submitted to Radius. The trust relation between PPTPD and Radius has always been that, a trust relation, based on a 31 long password. No human can remember that, and again it was never designed to remembered by humans. Hence the NFR in bugzilla, for a 31 character password is unworkable when humans are involved. 

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2017, 05:51:52 PM »
I believe the trend is towards longer more memorable passwords than shorter more complex ones. There is plenty of stuff online to suggest this is a better and more secure way with passwords.

Although a very simple example and should not be used, it actually isn't hard to remember 32 chars.

#1The2Hills3Are4Alive5With6Music#

Anyways, I was just curious !

I'll get back to Ipsec/L2TPD and OpenVPN which are very easy to set up and use :-)

And even stronger with RSA keys and certificates etc.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 03:17:26 AM »
As with many things, read enough and you usually find the solution/answer or explanation that helps to clear some of the fog..at bottom of page - IP Address Assignment for L2TP Logged-in Users

https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto/9.L2TPIPsec_Setup_Guide_for_SoftEther_VPN_Server/1.Setup_L2TP%2F%2F%2F%2FIPsec_VPN_Server_on_SoftEther_VPN_Server
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 06:15:02 AM »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »
So HF we have an answer, you can have a IPSec PSK length as long as you wish..might cause issues with android if its over 10, or so they say, just type in one as long as you want and then see forum post below, and attached image

http://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8405

See attached image for English lang dialog box, logic says you would select Yes, But its No that is needed :-) this saves it.
--
qui scribit bis legit