Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

multiple admin notifications.

Offline ber

• +0/-0
multiple admin notifications.
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:43:22 PM »
Hi had this problem for a while thats been bugging me. Not a biggy but has escalated.
I receive the admin notification emails weekly and there are usually two copies of the same notice;
the time stamp and everything is the same.

Ive made some searches for info on the forum and nothing stands out that may assist.
The notifications are usually the - yum updates, RAID report (contrib) freshclam, sme9admin (contrib).
They come in pairs or sometimes triples.
Also when i reboot the server I also get another copy of all the previous admin freshclam and yum updates notifications again??
I have upgraded my server over the years from SME 7 to 9 using affa. It works very well but sometimes causes probs with databases for some of the contribs like sme9admin, but thats another issue.
For the time being its seems the cron job notification configuration has been duplicated- a bit beyond me at the moment...
Can anyone advise how best to diagnose and repair.
Kind Regards
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:48:03 PM by ber »

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: multiple admin notifications.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »
Some things to look at:

The qmail &/or qpsmtpd log files should indicate if the server is actually delivering multiple messages to you, or if it is only delivering a single message that is then being mis-handled by something else. If you're getting multiple emails delivered to you I'd look through the notification settings for the various servers -- are they sending to a group or mailing list instead of a single mailbox (or anything like that)?

If you've ever had any of the mail sorting options setup, maybe you have an old rule that is misbehaving.

Likewise for your mail client (if you have a rule to file these things automatically, maybe it's misbehaving).

If you're using fetchmail, perhaps the message is being mis-handled by that process somewhere.

Offline ber

• +0/-0
Re: multiple admin notifications.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:54:29 PM »
Hi Mccarn, thanks for the input. I think the issue was server config related. Without going too far into it it could have been a fetchmail issue.
Ive upgraded the hardware using affa and its resolved the problem for me in the process. It was something I was wanting to do regardless.
John  :-)