Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Nic Bonding

Offline GSE

• +0/-0
Nic Bonding
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »
Hi I have a new server with 2 nics and 1 management interface, I am using the management interface to configure.
I have the options of nic bonding and is presented with the following: miimon=200 mode=active-backup
I've never used nic bonding, can anyone tell me what other options is available apart from active-backup?

guest22

Re: Nic Bonding
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:23:10 AM »
Which management interface are you referring to please? SME Server offers bonding at installation time if you desire and with the option to enter all kinds of options on an extra line.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »
See https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Specific_Kernel_Module_Capabilities.html for the available options. Note that some mode needs compatible hardware (switches), some others won't work in every situation. Only play with this if you understand the impact.

C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline GSE

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
I mean I am logged on to the console with the server's management interface.
I assume mode=active-backup means only one nic is active and the other one will be failover.
What other options is there?

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
What other options is there?

Please follow the link I gave you which explains all the possible mode (and all the other available options)

Offline GSE

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
I have tested with a few options from that link you gave me as well as the default one, this is the speeds I got.
Copied the same 5GB ISO file on each test.
"No bonding" - network copy speed over 100MB/s
active-backup - 38MB/s
balance-alb     - 38MB/s
balance-xor    - 38MB/s

Not sure if that is because of the switch or not, will test again when I have a proper managed switch installed.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »
Be careful with those numbers. Benchmarks are really hard to get right. You need to define a real test protocol to have something meaningful.