Koozali.org formerly Contribs.org

upgrade 10 or not ?

upgrade 10 or not ?
« on: March 03, 2021, 03:46:36 PM »
Sorry for my basic question ...

Is it currently possible to use SME 9.2 and wait,
or is it absolutely necessary to migrate to SME 10 beta ?

Thank :-)

Offline TerryF

  • grumpy old man
  • *
  • 1,268
Re: upgrade 10 or not ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:34:52 PM »
The beta is pretty solid, RC is not far away, so maybe give it a week or two/three
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline ReetP

  • *
  • 2,728
Re: upgrade 10 or not ?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 01:56:34 PM »
Is it currently possible to use SME 9.2 and wait,
or is it absolutely necessary to migrate to SME 10 beta ?

If you are installing new then use v10 Beta. It is pretty solid. There may be a few fixes coming but we think all the core stuff is OK now.

If you have an existing 9.2 then remember it is no longer supported. I would be running test upgrades to make sure it all goes OK and see what may be missing.

Either way, you should be working on it right now.
...
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Re: upgrade 10 or not ?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 02:33:46 AM »
Is there going to be an in place upgrade path?

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

  • *
  • 1,516
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
Re: upgrade 10 or not ?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 08:51:40 AM »
upstream does not support it, so we do not either.


Offline ReetP

  • *
  • 2,728
Re: upgrade 10 or not ?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:05:34 AM »
Is there going to be an in place upgrade path?

Similar issues we had between v8 & v9.

RHEL did have an upgrade script for early versions of CentOS 7 but apparently it was flaky as and they pulled it.

Probably suits them as they are in the support business....

So not our choice.
...
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Re: upgrade 10 or not ?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 01:37:24 PM »
Fair enough I did assume there wouldn't be

Thanks

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

  • *
  • 1,516
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
Re: upgrade 10 or not ?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »
that is sad as we all know that fedora support in place upgrade between version for years and the base their distro RHEL on fedora, but not that long:


Quote
Fedora 12, 13 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
Fedora 19, 20 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
Fedora 28 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8

Quote
If you have Fedora 21 or later, you can try to upgrade using the instructions at the DNF System Upgrade Quick Doc.
If you have Fedora 20 or earlier, you will have to perform at least part of the upgrade with bare yum. You can either use that method to upgrade to Fedora 21 or later and then use DNF system upgrade to upgrade from there to a currently-supported release, or just use bare dnf or yum for the entire upgrade process.

So maybe 10 to 11 would allow in place, and probably 11 to 12 !