Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

9.1 i386 fresh install, primary.sqlite.bz2 file missing from install media?

Offline bricknell

• +0/-0
Hello,

I'm convinced it must be something I'm doing wrong, but I've exhausted my Linux knowledge so turn to you good folk for help  :-)

Fresh install of SME 9.1 i386
RAID 5
Six physical HDDs
Install media on USB attached CD-Drive
(Hardware works on SME 8.2 - I simply swapped out the six HDDs for fresh drives for this install)

md5 checksum of image burnt to disc is correct.  Check Media option during install reports the disc is error-free (I've tried two different brands of CD-R and a CD-RW).

Install stops at:
Unable to read package metadata.  This may be due to a missing repodata directory.  Please ensure that your install tree has been correctly generated.

Could not retrieve
/mnt/sysimage/var/cache/yum/anaconda-base-201512091034.i386/primary.sqlite.bz2 matching remote checksum from anaconda-base-201512091034.i386

I've tried both the standard and alternative video installers, as well as the GUI installer.  All stop with this error.  I've also tried installing smeserver-9.0-i386 instead, but that errors in the same place.

I've checked the content of /mnt/sysimage/var/cache/yum/anaconda-base-201512091034.i386 but there is no primary.sqlite.bz2 in that directory.  I've also run find -iname primary.sqlite.bz2 from root, but that turns up nothing.  To my (lame) eye, it looks like the install wants primary.sqlite.bz2, but it's not on the install media.

I've checked the forums and bugzilla and can't find anyone else with this issue, so can't help think it's something I'm doing wrong...  Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance :-)
Tony
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:10:02 PM by bricknell »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
where did you download the iso img from?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
downloading it right now, will test it, stay tuned

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
ok..

got the iso from http://smeserver.de-labrusse.fr/releases/9.1/iso/i386/smeserver-9.1-i386.iso

check iso is ok, check media too,  installed it on a VM with a single disk with no issues at all

Offline bricknell

• +0/-0
Thanks for checking this.  I'll download from the same place as you now and try again.

Thanks again - I'll update this thread in a few moments once I've given it a try  :-)

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
you'd wait some days for SME9.2 final release or download the rc2 iso from here:
http://smeserver.de-labrusse.fr/releases/testing/9.2.RC2/iso/i386/

I'm using it in production on a 220 users busy server with no issues

Offline bricknell

• +0/-0
SOLVED

Thanks for your help - it pointed me in the right direction.

Problem was an incompatibility between the installer and the Samsung SE-S084 external USB drive I was using - basically a 'laptop' drive in a USB caddy.  Swapped it for a 'proper' IDE DVD drive (Plextor PX-116A) and it installed without error.

Clues started appearing when I tried to install the image from http://smeserver.de-labrusse.fr/releases/9.1 on a single disk - as Stefano did - but my install stopped with a raft of errors such as
File "/tmp/updates/storage/devices.py", line 4062, in eject
and
File "/tmp/updates/yuminstall.py", line 423, in _switchCD

Change the USB drive (which can eject but not load the media under software control) for a IDE drive (which can eject and load the media under software control) and the install works without error.

Thanks for your help  :)

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
You are welcome ;-)