Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[solved] login from laptop problem - "user profile service failed to load"

Offline morpheus

• +0/-0
New user, new installation, when trying to get user on Windows laptop to login get error message 'user profile service failed to load". Can access [ip]/server-manager ok from my linux laptop. The first client with the problem is Windows 7 Pro, but others are Windows 8/10 but not yet got to them to check issues.

The server is an older desktop, 1 nic, 8gb ram, 500gb drive, domain controller, no roaming profiles (well not yet as I don't think needed as each account works from given/defined seat). All are on same LAN, 192.168.178.* with 255.255.255.0 broadcast, with server plugged currently into a switch which is connected to ADSL modem/router hence to internet. The server ip is 192.168.178.4 with gateway (modem) at 192.168.178.1. The .2/.3/.4 addresses are being kept for the server inline for complete rebuild.

The installation is to replace a Windows SBS 2008/11 server for about 10 users going to about 20 over next 12 months on windows/mac laptops/desktops to provide network login and fileshareing facilities while the dell server with 2 nics, multiple drives, 24GB ram, quad core is rebuilt with SME as gateway/server.

Any hints or pointers appreciated, as search failed to find any help.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:32:33 PM by morpheus »
I can open the door but you have to walk through it.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: login from laptop problem - "user profile service failed to load"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
Hi, welcome here

can you please give us more info about your setup?
I guess you have DC enabled and, maybe, roaming profiles
is your client (which release?) joined to domain?
is your client in the same lan?

the more info you'll give us, the better will help you :-)

Offline morpheus

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
I have downloaded and added the required regedit mod, and then joined the laptop to the domain, then rebooted before getting the error. I was not given local admin username or password, so had to clear using live linux disk and downloaded tool. I am going to delete all existing users from the laptop using the same method.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:56:29 AM by morpheus »

Offline morpheus

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »
The problem is now solved.

I missed the information about the groups for Domain Admin, Domain Users, Domain Guests. I have now created groups with that information in the Description.

I would humbly suggest that this information be duplicated into the Groups part of the documentation

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Is this the section of the wiki you are referring to? If not please indicate where and what you think needs to be added, thanks.
https://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter9#Setting_Windows_Admin_Rights
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline morpheus

• +0/-0
You nailed it - that's the one at https://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter9#Setting_Windows_Admin_Rights . I missed it. I read the section about adding the regedit, and adding to the domains. Personaly, I would add a link there to that section you are referring to for ancients like myself somewhere down near Setting Network Drives https://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter7 which is at the end.

The chapter title Collaboration didn't register with me - I thought it was about working together using packages like egroupware etc
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:32:49 AM by morpheus »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:45:36 AM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline morpheus

• +0/-0
Take a bow kind sir  :-P