Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Active Directory Error

Offline chrisdewey

• +0/-0
Active Directory Error
« on: March 05, 2017, 10:15:25 PM »
Hi Im trying to set up a Domain for a Small company is there as step by step to set this up correctly or could i have help.

when i connect to the Domain it cant find it and displays Active Directory Error. but can see any were in the Server-Manager that im doing wrong

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Active Directory Error
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:04:41 AM »
chrisdewey

Assuming you mean trusted DOMAIN rather than web site domain.
Note that sme server suports NT style DOMAINS  & does not support Active Directory.
There are Windows reg entries you need to change, see
https://wiki.contribs.org/Windows_8_Support
Also versions of that article available for Windows 7 & Windows 10.
See the Howto link at top of Forums.

Samba 4 integration for sme server is being worked on to support "some" Active Directory functionality, but it will likely be a long time before being complete & only applicable to sme 10, which is still in alpha development stage, so also some time away before release.

If the above links do not resolve your problems then you need to provide us with much more details &  exact error messages, server setup details, Windows client versions etc.

Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
hi chrisdewey

please, remember that while joining the domain, you have to use the workgroup name you set in "workgroup" panel

Offline chrisdewey

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »
Thank you for the replys i will have a look.

Is the SME server almost ready to go out of the box for the Domain or do i have to install any think on the server?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »
all you need is there, you've only to configure it accordingly..

please, read carefully the documentation (link above) and follow Janet's advices

Offline chrisdewey

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:24:33 PM »
Thank you for the reply i found that as i was using Virtual PC that was the problem connecting to the server.

But i know have a problem (The Error below)

The join operation was not successful. This could be because an existing computer account having the name "TES-001-PC" was previously created using a different set of credentials. Use a different computer name, or contact your administrator to remove any stale conflicting account. The error was Access is Denied.

I have changed the computer name but still having the same issue.
The Test PC is username : user
this has Admin rights