Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 8.2 pop 3 access

Offline louhaven

• +0/-0
SME Server 8.2 pop 3 access
« on: March 03, 2017, 03:24:14 AM »
Hello,

The sme server/gateway package is really quite good.

I have a problem with a clients sme gateway/server 8.2.x. A little while ago, the sme started refusing pop3 connections from going thru it. I am also unable to access the 'admin' account from the local side of the network, so cannot verify if there are any new updates to install. Webmail, as a stop gap measure, (local network) only shows freshclam messages no messages about updates seem to be generated.

Short of deleting and reinstalling everything on the machine, what kinds of things should I be checking/making sure are configured correctly.

I am running the no authentication database patch (no tls, or auth before checking/sending email) this is because the client is not prepared to change his windows 7 login password to be more compliant with the gateway, and I am not prepared to change his gateway accounts password to be less secure (6 characters).

I also run the same version of sme here, and whilst (over christmas) had an issue with my isp that blocked all email from in/out that I resolved over a couple of days, this 'problem' occurred around the same time as my clients problem.

Both my client and myself have the same isp (different accounts tho.).

Since my client is remote to me (30 - 40 mins by car 1 way) can someone give me some ideas of things to check, or logs to post in follow up messages. I can get root access to the machine and copy the log files out on a usb stick.

Also, my client is using a modded version of outlook express for windows 7 and this has no problem accessing the isps mail server, its just that he would prefer to sample the isps mail message headers before downloading irrevelent emails. For this he uses ERemove v2.4.

Any help appreciated.

-----
Best Regards,

Louis
----
Regards,

Louis

guest22

Re: SME Server 8.2 pop 3 access
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »
Can you ssh to the server ?

Offline louhaven

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 11:02:40 PM »
Can you ssh to the server ?

Yes SSH using SSH client 3.2.9 works quite well.
----
Regards,

Louis

guest22

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 11:03:52 PM »
Yes SSH using SSH client 3.2.9 works quite well.

Then I suggest you ssh in to the server and start examining the logs and report your findings.

You are aware of the fact that SME Server 8.2 will be EOL within a few weeks right?

Offline louhaven

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:04:48 AM »

Then I suggest you ssh in to the server and start examining the logs and report your findings.

You are aware of the fact that SME Server 8.2 will be EOL within a few weeks right?

So, I should build my next server for this client with SME 9.x in mind?

----
Regards,

Louis

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:02:53 AM »
So, I should build my next server for this client with SME 9.x in mind?

Absolutely, a no brainer..
--
qui scribit bis legit