Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

OpenVPN Bridge - Questions about key generation problems

Offline ttech

• +0/-0
OpenVPN Bridge - Questions about key generation problems
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
Hello!
I just installed the OpenVPN Bridge & PHPki contribs.  I thought I had followed all instructions to the letter, and the system does work, but I am concerned that something has gone wrong.  ONE contributing factor in this is that my mouse had been starting to go south (random double clicks, unexpected jumps while viewing etc.) and is now in the bin.

While generating the keys / certificates all seemed well until I generated the DH parameters.  While following the examples with values shown in the wiki, the DH parameter output looked very different from the screen shot in the wiki - it had only 7 or 8 lines rather than the thirty or forty shown in the example.  At this time, I started suspecting that something was amiss and looked for a way to regenerate the root and start over (suspecting that maybe the mouse had changed the key size or something).  I also decided to use that static key while in the test mode to presumable make the impaired setup a little harder to break into (is this a correct assumption?).

Not finding this, just for laughs I tried it out with the OpenVPN client for Win7 and it does connect successfully.  Looking at the client log, I see the following line:
"WARNING: INSECURE cipher with block size less than 128 bit (64 bit).  This allows attacks like SWEET32.  Mitigate by using a --cipher with a larger block size (e.g. AES-256-CBC)."

Now I know that this setup is imperfect, and I wish to replace it.  Am I correct in believing that the cipher used during communications is weak, as well as the initial handshaking?

I intend to redo the installation.  Does anyone know what may have gone wrong during the initial setup?  Is there any way to repair / redo what is in place or do I have to completely remove the contribution to start again with a new root?  Will this also remove all of the certificates so that there is no interaction with the previous values if I reinstall and recreate?  Please advise.  If you need any log output, etc., let me know which / what / how.

As an aside, the openvpn client referred to in the wiki is no longer being developed by the person in the wiki.  I downloaded a client from the openvpn.net from:
"https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html".  I trust that this was a valid choice!?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Offline Arnaud

• +0/-0
    • GuedeL
Re: OpenVPN Bridge - Questions about key generation problems
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
Hi ttech,
unfortunately I'm not an expert.......
I haven't understood if the problem is you self generated CA or the other certificates based on it!

I propose you to:
- to have a look here https://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,52765.0.html reply#3 of Daniel to generate again DH-parameters and see if you get what you expected
- make a current backup of the sme
- restore the last backup you have before the installation of PHPki
- install PHPki and openVPN-Bridge once again and check if you get a better result without this issue with the mouse.

If it's better, then restore the current backup, try to uninstall the contribs (see the section "uninstall", especially for PHPki) and reinstall.

This was my 2 cents contribution  :?

Bye
Arnaud

Offline Arnaud

• +0/-0
    • GuedeL
Re: OpenVPN Bridge - Questions about key generation problems
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »
Hello,
I successfull installed smeserver-openvpn-bridge yesterday without any problem. :smile:

By connecting a fedora client with the default config, the journal gives too:
"WARNING: INSECURE cipher with block size less than 128 bit (64 bit).  This allows attacks like SWEET32.  Mitigate by using a --cipher with a larger block size (e.g. AES-256-CBC)."

For this purpose, following is written into the Wiki under "advanced configuration":
  cipher: (valid cipher name) You can force the cipher to use. If you put auto, or delete this key, client and server will negotiate the stronger cipher both side support. To have the list of the supported cipher, issue the command
Code: [Select]
openvpn --show-ciphers

=> only following the instruction:
Code: [Select]
db configuration setprop openvpn-bridge cipher AES-256-CBC
signal-event openvpn-bridge-update
and configuring the client to use AES-256-CBC too

=> no warning message any more!  :lol:
Bye
Arnaud