Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mail being marked read

Offline ddougan

• +0/-0
    • http://www.DouganConsulting.com
Mail being marked read
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
I have a support@ account that is fairly low volume. I recently noticed that all new mail coming into the account was being marked as read without my intervention. I've confirmed there are no rules acting on the account. This morning, I closed my mail client, just to be sure, and sent the account a message from my phone (which does not have this account configured). In opening the account in Horde, it was already marked read. I therefore closed Webmail and sent a couple of further tests and monitored the "new" mailbox folder - in the first instance, about 10 - 15 minutes after it was delivered, the message was moved to the "cur" folder. I deleted the dovecot.* files in case something there was impacting the status, then sent another message to the account - within 5 minutes, this one was also marked read and moved to "cur".

I've checked cron and see nothing there that could affect this. I'm pretty certain this is happening on the server (ver. 8.2) but am unable to see where it might be happening. I'd appreciate any ideas on where to check this further.

Thanks,

Des
Des Dougan

guest22

Re: Mail being marked read
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »
Any contribs installed?

Offline ddougan

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:08:53 PM »
Just the mail sorting and vacation ones. I've checked and double-checked and have no rules for the problem account.
Des Dougan

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »
Ddougan

Did u check logs for mail access ?

Try changing the user password for the support account, this theoretically will stop whatever is accessing that mail from accessing it. Observe what happens, mail shud remain unread.

Perhaps u hav a mobile mail client automatically accessing that acct without you realising it ????
Maybe a hacker/compromised pw ?

Does this happen with other newly created accounts ?

Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ddougan

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 02:22:46 AM »
Hey Janet,

Thanks for your ideas. I changed the pw and the problem went away. This is odd on several levels - I don't have any other system set up with that account, as far as I can recall  :? - and secondly, even if there is another account, the only way it would be marking as read if there was a rule set up to do that, which takes me back to the account being on another system...

I can't see anything in the logs, though I may not be looking everywhere I should. Would it log all server connections from a mail client? I checked the IMAPS log but don't see anything untoward.

Thanks,

Des
Des Dougan