Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

No option to change the password in webmail

Offline Otto

• +0/-0
No option to change the password in webmail
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:29:00 AM »
Hi,

In the previous version I found how to change in the webmail user's account password: in Global options/Authentication Credentials, but where can I find this option in ver. Alpha2?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:53:59 AM by otto »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: No option to change the password in webmail
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »
hi there, welcome.

changing password from webmail is not the right way to do it and will likely break your server.
the only way to change the password is from /user-password panel

be aware that we're talking about an alpha release and that some features might be/not be there in the future.

HTH and thank you for testing

Offline Otto

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:55:18 PM »
/SFMBE

Of course, You have some security concerns, but I think, SME will be used for home purposes mainly, without this feature.

1. Because a lot of employers and company managers wouldn't agree the "password keeper"/admin/ and/or other people to access 'easily' their own mailboxes.

2. If the admin leaves a company of 200+ people, the new IT should change the passwords of 200+ e-mail accounts and give to 200+ employees to learn their new passwords.

In this sense, I think it's better to be implemented some additional options:

1. In admin panel - 'user can and can not change his password in mailbox'.

2.'Login (IP, date, hour) history view' option in SME, previewing in the users mailboxes.

3. An additional option of 'E-mail password', different from 'Collaboration' one or different e-mail users and passwords from 'Collaboration' ones.

Respect and many thanks to the devs and supporters for the excellent work, time and money they invested in this wonderful project!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:22:23 AM by Otto »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:51:27 PM »
Of course, You have some security concerns, but I think, SME will be used for home purposes mainly, without this feature.

mine it's not a security concern.. changing password on SME is an EVENT that triggers some ACTIONS.. that makes things work
changing it elsewhere (i.e. from another interface) without raising the right steps will lead to a broken server, IOW something could stop working

the only thing to do is to teach users to go to https://SME_IP|SME_FQDN/user-password and change there their password..

please be aware that that page is available only on LAN side (of, from WAN, using a VPN), but it can be tweaked to be reachable from WAN (search wiki and here)

HTH

Offline Otto

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 08:29:05 PM »
he only thing to do is to teach users to go to https://SME_IP|SME_FQDN/user-password and change there their password..

I tested from LAN:
https://mySMEinternalIPaddress/user-password

And:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at admin to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

After, I checked the logs of:  messages, dmesg, secure, mysqld, httpd_error_log, httpd_admin_error_log, but there was no actual info about any errors ot problems. Do You have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:47:43 PM by Otto »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »
Otto
https://mySMEinternalIPaddress/user-password
Does your server IP or FQDN resolve on the LAN ? (Without other suffixes)
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 09:19:46 PM »
hi

first of all.. SME10 is in early alpha stage, so don't expect it to be fully working and don't use it in production

that said, you found an error, I reproduced it and in /var/log/httpd/admin_error_log I see:

Code: [Select]
[Tue Oct 04 21:14:55.191265 2016] [cgi:error] [pid 2320] [client 127.0.0.1:42426] AH01215: fileparse(): need a valid pathname at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/CGI/Persistent.pm line 30.
[Tue Oct 04 21:14:55.195002 2016] [cgi:error] [pid 2320] [client 127.0.0.1:42426] End of script output before headers: userpassword

my suggestion is to go to bugzilla (link above), check if is there already a bug against SME10 for this issue and, if not, open a new one.

SME lives on collaboration so, please, be part of it :-)
thank you

Offline Otto

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 09:52:03 PM »
I made а new install and first I did: https://1.2.3.4/user-password caused the same error. The web-access to /server-manager and /webmail is ok with this IP (1.2.3.4 is only for example). And yes, the server is in my internal network segment.

Edit: Destroyed SME iptables configuration and input ACCEPT policy to everywhere, stopped SME proxy, tested access to /user-password with another browser - the same output: Internal Server Error bla bla  :-)

Edit 2: https://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9677

I lost a lot of time with the lastest version, but the 'password change' option was very important for me. My enthusiasm evaporates. ;) May be, I'll wait for the final release.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:14:37 AM by Otto »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 04:38:49 AM »
Otto

If anything is very important to you, then you would only be using stable releases eg SME9.x.
The alpha release of SME 10 is ONLY for testing & development purposes, perhaps you do not realise that. Many things will be broken & many things will not work correctly, that is to be expected with a alpha release.

Offline Otto

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 05:04:07 PM »
Thank You,

But in the day before yesterday, I already installed Zentyal Development Edition. Then I had to put urgently any web-based mail server with mails. Except that there was an option to change the e-mail password from e-box, also ready to use DNS and VPN servers, very important in my intent to quick install All in One at this moment. I'll continue to see contribs.org.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:37:29 PM by Otto »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »
But in the day before yesterday, I already installed Zentyal Development Edition.

so, in the end, you're still using a beta version ;-)

On the other hand, SME has Squirrelmail included, that is well known for me, and I'll continue to see contribs.org.

Squirrelmail is almost unsupported since SME7 and it was a contrib.. if you need a different webmail app than horde, you'd take a look at sogo or roundcube

anyway, hope to see you here again in the future

Offline Otto

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 05:42:32 PM »
Squirrelmail is almost unsupported since SME7 and it was a contrib.

Sorry for the mistake, I corrected it. Thank You! I got confused with Deepofix, I've tested it at the same time. ;)

P.S.
Generally, it seems I've become a beta tester.  :-)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:52:00 PM by Otto »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »
Otto
Generally, Ii seems I've become a beta tester.  :-)

It seems to me you are just wildly experimenting with unstable releases. You are entitled to do that if you wish, but you cannot expect everything to work "out of the box", & you cannot expect support.

If you really want to be a alpha or beta tester then a unsaid implication of using such software versions is that you contribute your experiences & problems to bugzilla, & developers will then be able re tepair sections of code that are broken. Usually bugs will be resolved in a timely fashion but it is not always possible to do so.