Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mail settings question

Offline gbentley

• +0/-0
  • Forum Lurker
    • Earth
Re: Mail settings question
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
Charlie - think WendyMoor might fake account to promote her site ?

[modified by moderator, deleting url]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:00:13 PM by Stefano »
"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't."

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 09:56:45 PM »
removing wendymoor's posts, spamming

Offline gbentley

• +0/-0
  • Forum Lurker
    • Earth
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
You could set your own domain record as say '1' and change your ISP to say '10' and leave fetchmail running as a backup. So if your own IP is unreachable for any reason mail will get delivered to your ISP and fetchmail should pick it up (though getting off fetchmail is a good idea as suggested) - It shouldn't really necessary as a well behaved mail server should attempt delivery over a period of days so if your IP is offline for a bit it shouldn't be the end of the world. John

Sorry for replying so late to this thread but I am now in a position to look at this again - I have updated SME to 9 with new discs and done all the updates so I am happy :)

If I 'switch off' fetchmail on SME and in the case where my microwave link goes down for an hour, all the mail would then be collected / sitting on the ISP. Whilst I could just add a forwarder there, this would be to a specific mailbox on my SME when the link comes backup - which isn't too convenient. I was thinking that in case of the above scenario I could just invoke fetchmail manually or from script? Would need to locate the existing script to glean cli mojo and make into a manual version. Does this sound reasonable?
"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't."