Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 8.2 DC user account replication.

Offline ber

• +0/-0
SME 8.2 DC user account replication.
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:54:17 PM »
HI Can anyone advise whether the user file replication is possible when using roaming profiles on SME 8.2. There seems to be some information on the advanced samba contrib, but little with regards to replication. Thanks

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: SME 8.2 DC user account replication.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
no, ATM SME doesn't support any kind of user/accounts replication

Offline ber

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
Hi Stephano, can I inquire about the matter further. Using roaming profiles seems to work on our 8.2 server, though without consistency.
I say this because when logging onto the admin profile, my desktop/files is replicated across any workstation. Some users I also have replication with. Though this is not always the case, when there are connection issues to the workstation the User account is logged on as a "temporary profile" with a new desktop and notification by the host O/S (windows 10) that there was a problem and the profile is temporary. Usually advises to login again to resolve the problem. Sometimes logging on fixes the issue or just walking away and coming back later in the day then relogging gives me the correct profile with replicated files.

I'm unsure where SME sits in the equation as it is the DC for the network. The fact that it replicates tells me that there is some replication in background.
As mentioned before this is not always the case. In fact logins can sometimes be an issue on the network.... 1. Either takes a very long time to login or 2. When it finally logs on I'm given a temporary profile.
Usually this is resolved the next day or leaving the workstation alone for a period of time. Its not the most technical of solutions but thats how it resolves itself. :? Am i missing something?
Thanks for any input. John
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:24:07 PM by ber »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 02:52:18 AM »
ber

It depends what you actually mean by "replication", but I assume here you are referring to logging in & loading a User profile on any workstation in a DOMAIN with Roaming profiles enabled on the SME Domain Controller server & obtaining that Users "look & feel & files etc" in Windows.

Loading User profiles can time out if they are large size profiles & that will result in a tempoorary User profile being loaded.
Something is not behaving the way you want it too, but it does not necessarily sound like a fault, but moreso like you either have network connectivity issues (ie slowness or erratic connection) or otherwise you are trying to load large User profiles.
There are many "tricks or techniques" to use to minimise User profile size & obtain a fast loading User profile (on any workstation connected to the DOMAIN) when using Roaming Profiles.

How long does it take a typical user to log in & load their profile on Windows (when successful) ?
What size is that User profile ?
What size are other User profiles ?

Have you googled for & implemented techniques to minimise User profile size (for all users) ?
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ber

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
Hi Janet, Ive confirmed by testing over the last few days that the roaming profile service does work on the 8.2 and 9.0 SME server. Though there is little documentation.
Also as per your suggestions there are other mitigating factors that will affect the login times. Essentially the size of the profiles and other login services attached to the profile (printers, mapped drives etc...) all play a role.
If there are issues the local system will login via a temporary profile without the usual desktop "feel and files"
Googling over the last few days have helped alleviate my doubts and realize that its not always straight forward. It may take time on a fresh workstation as many services/files need to be replicated when using the roaming profile on a different workstation within the domain.
John

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi Janet, Ive confirmed by testing over the last few days that the roaming profile service does work on the 8.2 and 9.0 SME server.

if so, you'd post your results in bugzilla

BTW, be aware that each version of M$ windows has its own profile dir, so, for example, if you connect with a W7 client and then with a W10 one, you'll see 2 different profiles

finally: roaming profiles, IMVHO, are E V I L
you'd look to different solution (terminal server, for example.. not necessarily done with windows)