Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Getting 8.2 to recognise new NIC - what to do?

Offline stabilys

• +0/-0
  • Ah din't do it!!
    • Stabilys Ltd
Getting 8.2 to recognise new NIC - what to do?
« on: July 28, 2016, 12:16:07 PM »
Hello all,

I am upgrading the network connection on an HP ML350 G6 running SME 8.2 to 10Gb-E SFP+ (this is part of a system migration to a KVM-hosted virtual SME with remote filesystem, see my problems with iSCSI persistence, the ML350 will be replaced after the New Year so is not going to be upgraded to SME 9 or 10 -- anticipating some questions).

I have an HP-supported (expensive!) 2-port SFP+ network card which is recognised by the system on boot up, and I can select it as the default NIC from the admin console, I can manually set the ports up, but it is not in use, and the system complains about the MAC address being wrong.

On more recent systems I would delete the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules stanza so it would get rebuilt. Messing with the /etc/udev/60-net.rules achieved nothing so where's the MAC cached?

I don't know what the equivalent to fix this is on SME 8.2 and some mild searching has not given me a clue.

Can someone give me a clue, please?

TIA!

MeJ
This, too, will pass ;)

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Getting 8.2 to recognise new NIC - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 12:59:29 PM »
your best bet is to search for info about Centos 5.11 (which is the underlaying base OS).. first of all you'd be sure your hw is fully supported on it..

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:01:12 PM »
I can manually set the ports up, but it is not in use, and the system complains about the MAC address being wrong.

You should open a bug explaining what do you mean by "it's not in use" and "system complains about the MAC address being wrong"
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline stabilys

• +0/-0
  • Ah din't do it!!
    • Stabilys Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 04:29:30 PM »
Thank you both, more reading...

I will note and report the detailed error when I am back on site. Obviously I can't do this over ssh so am working with small console display which is hard to grab...

MeJ
This, too, will pass ;)

Offline stabilys

• +0/-0
  • Ah din't do it!!
    • Stabilys Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
Colour me stoopid -- I forgot that SME only supports 2 NICs  :shock:

And the system has two NICs on board, enabled, though only one in use.

So I will disable one of them and see if the added card is then configured.

Duh. If this is the case, sorry to waste ppls time  :(

Of course I only worked this out after working through every other possibility :)

MeJ
This, too, will pass ;)

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 03:26:19 PM »
I am upgrading the network connection on an HP ML350 G6 running SME 8.2 to 10Gb-E SFP+...

If you want to use new hardware, then you really should be scheduling upgrade to SME9.x. Support for new hardware in RHEL5/CentOS5/SME8 is patchy.

Offline stabilys

• +0/-0
  • Ah din't do it!!
    • Stabilys Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »
Late reply because I only just got notified - (?) anyway, Charlie of course you are correct, and they will be upgrading probably at Christmas. This was just part of a workaround for data movement prior to the move, but it ain't going to happen so I have done something else. Thanks! Closed.
This, too, will pass ;)