Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

(Solved) What jobs/tasks is SME Server the best at?

Offline trpted

• +0/-0
(Solved) What jobs/tasks is SME Server the best at?
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
For example non OS:

A hammer is the best to get in a nail. Could use a screw driver, but that is not the best tool for the job/task.

Comparing SME Server  to other distros in the same category (not for example against pfSense - one of many distros designed for connection sharing), what jobs/task is it the best at?

Thank you

[EDIT] Duh on me..

[EDIT #2] *Solved*
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:26:01 PM by trpted »

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
Re: What jobs/tasks is SME Server the best at?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »
Edit: content deleted now that I see you're just spamming various forums with this question.  Please clarify your intentions.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:32:46 PM by DanB35 »

Offline trpted

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:24:40 PM »
This will help me, find the best distro for the task that I am trying to do.

AND OR help others too, for the task that they are trying to do.

Does that help you or do you need more info?

Note: Only asking distros (excluding NAT router distros) that I ever used. Other distro, I did not ask - nor planning to (until I use them - if ever).

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
Seeing you post the same question in the PC-BSD forums (and, apparently, the Ubuntu forums, since you mention Ubuntu in your post here, making me think you copied and pasted from a post there and missed an edit) made me suspicious, as I can't think of any possible overlap between the use cases that would call for PC-BSD on the desktop and SME Server.

What task are you trying to do?  The wiki (https://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page) gives a pretty good description on the front page of what SME does, and what it does, it does pretty well.

Offline trpted

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 08:53:18 PM »
#1 *Opps*

#2 The wiki helps.

#3 Is there anything missing at the wiki under Features and Benefits?

#4 Under Features and Benefits, one of the things that caught my eye

Extensible

The Koozali SME Server architecture explicitly supports developers by making it easy to drop software into place and remove it without needing to modify existing files. Extensions can easily add new features and there are dozens of them freely available.

a) https://wiki.contribs.org/Category:Contrib is the correct location where I (and other users) can see a list of all of Extensions that exist for SME Server  (and if not where is it - if it exist) ?

b) If not, is someone at that wiki who has access SME Server planning to so ?

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:54:54 PM by trpted »

guest22

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
What are you looking for please?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:24:11 PM »
I agree.. Can you please explain US what are you looking for?
Thank you

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
You've posted exactly the same question here, on the PC-BSD forums, on the Ubuntu forums, on the Alpine Linux forums, and the Puppy Linux forums, and that's just what I found in 30 seconds with Google.  If you are "trying to find the best distro for the task I have to do", particularly if, as you say, you've only posted on forums for distros you've used, this simply doesn't make sense.  There is zero overlap between tasks that PC-BSD Desktop is good for, and tasks that SME Server is good for--and if you've used both OSs for just a few minutes each, you'd know that.

In the time it took you to register for each of these forums and post your question, you could have checked out the wiki/docs for each of them and gotten an idea of what they're designed to do (though you should already know that, if you're limiting your posts to distros you've used before).

If you have a particular task you're trying to do, tell us about the task, and we can let you know if SME is a good fit or not (and if not, there's probably someone here who can suggest a better fit).  But I don't believe that's really what's going on.

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 11:13:36 PM »
This gets curiouser and curiouser.  From what I see quickly on their respective web pages, Puppy and Alpine are both focused on being small and lightweight, and I guess could be seen as somewhat competitive with each other (though, again, this is only based on a cursory look at their respective web sites). 

Ubuntu has both server and desktop versions, but the desktop is the more popular by a long shot.  Ubuntu Desktop and PC-BSD are both GUI-based desktop OSs, so I guess they could be seen as competing with each other, though of course PC-BSD isn't Linux (it's FreeBSD). 

SME Server is the odd one out in this group--it's a text-based server OS with a web-based configuration manager.  There is no plausible use case for which all five of these OSs would be considered (somewhat interestingly, though you exclude pfSense in your post, it does overlap somewhat with SME Server in its features).  If you've used all five of these, as you say you have, you'd know this.  But, of course, I don't know where else you might have posted the same question (though I can now add Tiny Core Linux, Mageia, and Damn Small Linux to the list).

If, as you say, you are trying to "find the best distro for the task that I am trying to do", a much better question to post would be, "I'm trying to do $TASK, with $REQUIREMENTS and $LIMITATIONS.  Would $DISTRO be a good choice for this job?"  If you post that to forums for distros that have some connection to $TASK, you'll probably get some helpful responses.  Your question ("tell me what $DISTRO is good at") is much more likely to get an answer of "RTFM," or some variation.  And when you say you've already used $DISTRO, we assume you should already have some idea of what it's good at.

So, what's really going on?  My best guess is a school project, but I'm sure I could be wrong on that.  All I know is that you've spammed at least eight different forums with the same question, and not given any indication of what you're actually trying to do.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 09:35:42 PM »
Maybe, though I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt.  I'm still thinking it's some kind of a school project, but who knows at this point.

Offline trpted

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 04:08:07 PM »
I like helping people, so I like asking questions and providing answers.

Other than that, hmm...

#1 web browsing

#2 send/receive e-mail

#3 Access NNTP (read & post)

#4 Update my GPS (Garmin nuvi 42) - both maps and program - have another computer that runs Windows 7 for that.

#5 Record and play back TV recordings - the other computer that runs Windows 7 is for that.

#6 Play some Games

#7 Let the force be with you :D . Sometimes downloading source code and compiling it. As example(s):

a) bzflag ( as my distro only offers up to 2.4.2 and there is 2.4.5 for download )

b) spoofer-0.8e from https://spoofer.caida.org/ ( as they do not offer any Linux/Unix Binaries :( )

#8 Another computer (number 3) someday, I plan on turning into a NAT Router.

Requirements for that, I point one of my threads at (third party site) DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Software and Operating Systems -> All Things Unix -> dyi NAT Router with trusted and with untrusted LAN

I also posted this at PCLinuxOS. Quoting my self, in reply to other users...

#1 To the users who said

a)

Whatever you want, given enough work, knowledge and skill it can do anything.

b)
So for me the answer to the question: What jobs/tasks is pclinuxos the best at?: I say everything!

#2 I can provide one single example of where that is not true.

I point one of my threads at (third party site) DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Software and Operating Systems -> All Things Unix -> dyi NAT Router with trusted and with untrusted LAN to the reply post(s) by:

a) DSLR user graysonf (# 100249)

b) DSLR user Black Box (# 740280)

both on 2016-Feb-19 at 11:52 am EST (a few second apart).

Summary without quoting them: Explaining why there are distros designed for connection sharing (like pfSense).

#3 Important note: This is not to say

..for my purposes, everything I have ever needed to do, I can do with PCLinuxOS.

^^

Wink, wink. I told you so

I like helping people, so I like asking questions and providing answers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:09:43 PM by trpted »

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 04:25:28 PM »
1-3, 6, and 7 could be done about equally well with any desktop OS, which SME Server isn't.  If those are your goals, what made you think SME was a reasonable enough candidate that you'd register for an account and post here without even looking at the main page?

Ironically enough, SME Server can do #8.