Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

need help to restore data

Offline vikas

• +0/-0
need help to restore data
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
hi.
i want to restore only domain, user configuration not data in new server from old server can you help me, in have restore users before 9:30 am tomorrow please help me it very very arjunt

With regards,
Vikas Mannur 

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
Re: need help to restore data
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 01:15:44 PM »
Vikas, your question has nothing to do with development (the subject of the forum you've posted to), nor with bug verification (the topic of the thread you replied to).  You'll get much better visibility to your question if you start your own thread in the proper forum.

When you start that thread, you'll probably want to give some more detail about your situation.  Three pieces of information that I can think of that would be helpful are (1) What version of the SME Server OS was the old server running, (2) What version of the SME Server OS is the new server running, and (3) What kind of backup do you have, if any?

Offline vikas

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »
Dear DanB35,

Thanks of your replay,

I am using SME 7.5 as we have found some bad sectors in HDD, i wanted to setup new server with SME 8, will u be able to help me out in restoring previous server domain configuration and users, in new server, i have followed some steps mentioned below. and have taken backup generated by the below commands user.tar.dz and ibays.tar.dz

mkdir -p /temp
mv /home/e-smith/files/users /temp
mv /home/e-smith/files/ibays /temp
mv /home/e-smith/files/xxxx /temp

and

mv /temp/users /home/e-smith/files/
mv /temp/ibays /home/e-smith/files/
mv /temp/xxxx /home/e-smith/files/

awaiting for your replay

With regards,
Vikas Mannur

Online TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »
I believe this wiki page has your answer: http://wiki.contribs.org/Backup_server_config

It appears that you have used part of it already
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:08:39 PM by TerryF »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
Vikas..

I splitted your posts in a new topic.

Firsto of all, you are welcome here

that said, DanD35 told you that your post was OT there.. you'd read his message again.

finally, DanB53 asked for info: if you want help, you must help us to help you so, please, give us as much details as you can about your setup.. don't tell us WHAT you did (your solution) but WHAT you need to achieve (your problem)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 03:21:15 PM »
vikas

You do not tell us where the data is located that you DO NOT want to transfer, so I will assume it is in ibays only.
So you can exclude the data in ibays by moving it temporarily

Note that data files in users home folders & mail for each user will still be included in the backup

The simplest approach for you, is to do on the old server
mkdir -p /temp
mv /home/e-smith/files/ibays /temp

Login as admin & select to backup to attached USB drive
Make sure the USB drive is previously formatted as ext3 or ext4, refer to the USB Howto for steps to do this (see Howto link at top of forums)

Then install the SME 8.1 OS from CD onto your new server
Then at first boot after the OS is installed, you will be asked if you want to restore
Select Yes & connect the Backup USB drive when asked
the restore should run
wait till finished & then reboot
remove the USB drive
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.