Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Wordpress 4.3.1 on SME 8.1

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
Re: Wordpress 4.3.1 on SME 8.1
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
Have a read of THIS it may be of Help

Can you check the link, please? I can't get it to work.
You can't stop what's coming. It ain't all waiting on you.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 08:35:47 PM »
devtay

You need to use a real resolvable domain name.
Using testserver.xxxx.local is not  advisable.
Use your actual domain eg
www.mydomain.com

IIRC using an unresolvable URL just takes you to the Primary ibay by default.
Even on a test server you need to setup the server & network so that any domain names (URLs) you configure, will actually resolve.

Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 11:03:47 PM »
Can you check the link, please? I can't get it to work.

Fat fingers sorry, how about http://wiki.contribs.org/Web_Application_Redirect_Tutorial
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 11:44:22 PM »
devtay

You can move the code from /opt/wordpress to the ibay/html folder.
You will need to change/correct config files & any template/custom template settings to match & remove aliases that were created by the templates to allow web access to /opt/.....

Look in the rpm for smeserver-wordpress & you can see all the files that are created when it installs, use mc to view it or the rpm command.

I have done it in the past & it works OK.

That redirect howto does introduce some other problems with the main web site & server manager IIRC, in some cases, so be warned.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:47:52 PM by janet »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:04 PM »
You would hope big people read things :-) the discussion section of that How To is also a must read for an alternative way
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
You would hope big people read things :-) the discussion section of that How To is also a must read for an alternative way

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean by this remark.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
devtay

You can move the code from /opt/wordpress to the ibay/html folder.
You will need to change/correct config files & any template/custom template settings to match & remove aliases that were created by the templates to allow web access to /opt/.....

Look in the rpm for smeserver-wordpress & you can see all the files that are created when it installs, use mc to view it or the rpm command.

I have done it in the past & it works OK.

That redirect howto does introduce some other problems with the main web site & server manager IIRC, in some cases, so be warned.

Ok. I can try that but I'm trying to do what was suggested earlier in this thread - that I just use the contrib and not install the application in an iBay because it's dangerous. I'm going to take a look at the links provided and see if I can get what I'm looking for.

My local DNS is resolving my .local domain. I made entries in my domains panel for my production SME server for www and mail (two different virtual servers). I actually use this setup to imapsync off of my production email server to my .local archive email server. I'm doing these tests on my test server so I have a workable install and can then do the work on my production server. I don't think the server cares if the internet is resolving my local domain or if my local DNS server is resolving it. As long as the http request hits the test server, it works. At least it's working on my LAN.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
devtay

It is quite OK to install web apps/contribs into ibays, there is nothing dangerous about doing that.

The "Interestingly dangerous" comment made earlier, I believe was in regard to allowing a developer to upload & overwite files & to overwite your mysql databases, allowing that sort of access could be considered dangerous.

There was comment made many years ago to install web contribs to /opt, rather than ibays, so many contrib coders went that way, but the insistence on doing that was eased in later comments.
AFAIK there is no really strong reason not to install web apps to ibays.
Both /opt & ibays have issues, as allowing web access is really a compromise on security wherever you place web accessible files.

The other issue raised re ibays, was that users could access the ibay & corrupt files or change configs etc, so any ibays that have web contribs in them, should have restricted access to LAN users, ie a seperate Group is created for ibays that are web sites, so only a tech administrator (Group) can access the files using samba etc.

ibays were designed on smeserver (then e-smith) to be used for web content.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
Not sure I understand exactly what you mean by this remark.

Simple, read the bloody thing, ALL of it.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »

sometimes I miss a "Like" button in the FB's way.. :-)

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »

How about if you don't want to help, don't read or reply to the thread? I didn't ask you for your attitude and I don't appreciate your negative comments. I'm not the "expert" you are hence the reason I'm asking questions in this forum. I'd similarly like a mute button so I don't have to deal with people like you. If someone doesn't understand, reading a post makes no difference. SME is for "non-technical" admins but when someone asks a question they get flamed. Nice.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
How about if you don't want to help, don't read or reply to the thread? I didn't ask you for your attitude and I don't appreciate your negative comments. I'm not the "expert" you are hence the reason I'm asking questions in this forum. I'd similarly like a mute button so I don't have to deal with people like you. If someone doesn't understand, reading a post makes no difference. SME is for "non-technical" admins but when someone asks a question they get flamed. Nice.

devtay, please..

even if for "non-technical admins", SME requires a bit of knowledge.. and the only way to improve your knowledge is to ask properly and to follow properly the advices you get.

moreover, since you're telling us you're administering a server on which you're installing a web app (that I guess will be published on WAN side), you HAVE to know what you're doing.

so, no flame at all.. just follow the advices, try, report here any/every issue you find.

HTH

guest22

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
Devtay,

I think we have a simple case of misunderstanding here. Terry IS a grumpy old b#astard, but a good one :-) Sometimes we joke around and are too brief in our replies. Then if you don't the person, it may appear harsh :-)

Let's focus on your efforts.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Terry IS a grumpy old b#astard

me too, me too :-D