Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Wordpress 4.3.1 on SME 8.1

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
Wordpress 4.3.1 on SME 8.1
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:57:30 PM »
Hello All,

I'm back and I have a problem. Big surprise, right? Anyways, we have a developer that created a site for us in Wordpress so I needed to install Wordpress on our server. After the trouble with getting OsCommerce up, I decided to install Wordpress in an iBay. I used the following steps to install wordpress in an iBay:

Code: [Select]
1. Create iBay
iBay: wp_ftav
Group: Everyone
User Access: Write = group, Read = everyone
Public Access: Entire Internet (no password)
Execution of Dynamic: Enabled
Force Secure: Disabled

2. accounts settings
PHP basedir
db accounts setprop wp_ftav PHPBaseDir /home/e-smith/files/ibays/wp_ftav:/tmp

Symlinks
db accounts setprop wp_ftav AllowOverride all
db accounts setprop wp_ftav FollowSymLinks enabled
db accounts setprop wp_ftav Indexes disabled
signal-event ibay-modify wp_ftav

3. create database
mysqladmin create wp_ftav --default-character-set=utf8

4. create user
GRANT ALL ON wp_ftav.* TO 'wp_ftav'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'passwordgoeshere';

5. download, unzip, and upload wordpress to /wp_ftav/html

6. chown -R admin:www * the files in /wp_ftav/html

7. Go to www.ftav.com/wp_ftav and follow install instructions.
Database and user wp_ftav
Password from above mysql grant statement.
Localhost.
Wordpress prefix wp_
created first user with admin permissions.

I can access the site and I can make posts, change themes, etc. However, I can't install plugins automatically or update the software or plugins automatically. Wordpress wants ftp permissions to do this and I can't figure out the right way to make proftp work. I thought it was due to the FTP settings being wrong, but even when I manually edit the proftp.conf file to allow the connection, the process never completes. Could it be related to file permissions and ownership?

[root@ html]# pwd
/home/e-smith/files/ibays/wp_ftav/html
[root@ html]# ls -la
total 192
drwxrwsr-x  5 root  shared  4096 Oct 26 16:28 .
drwxr-xr-x  6 root  root    4096 May 12  2014 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 www   shared   252 Oct 26 16:36 .htaccess
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www      418 Oct 26 15:55 index.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www    19545 Oct 26 15:55 license.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     7360 Oct 26 15:55 readme.html
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     4951 Oct 26 15:55 wp-activate.php
drwxr-xr-x  9 admin www     4096 Oct 26 15:55 wp-admin
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www      271 Oct 26 15:55 wp-blog-header.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     5007 Oct 26 15:55 wp-comments-post.php
-rw-rw-rw-  1 www   shared  3067 Oct 26 16:21 wp-config.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     2764 Oct 26 15:55 wp-config-sample.php
drwxr-xr-x  4 admin www     4096 Oct 26 15:55 wp-content
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     3286 Oct 26 15:55 wp-cron.php
drwxr-xr-x 12 admin www     4096 Oct 26 15:55 wp-includes
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     2380 Oct 26 15:55 wp-links-opml.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     3123 Oct 26 15:55 wp-load.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www    34669 Oct 26 15:55 wp-login.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     8252 Oct 26 15:55 wp-mail.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www    11062 Oct 26 15:55 wp-settings.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www    25124 Oct 26 15:55 wp-signup.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     4035 Oct 26 15:55 wp-trackback.php
-rw-rw-r--  1 admin www     3055 Oct 26 15:55 xmlrpc.php
[root@ html]#

I have changed the access settings in the remote access panel in server manager and even installed the user remote panel. No matter the combinations or user names chosen, I can't get the process to complete. To add to the problems, the developer wants me to give him FTP access and phpmyadmin access to the database. My answer to that was no. They basically want to delete all of the files in the ibay, upload their set of files, delete all the tables from the database, and import a whole new set. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help is appreciated.
You can't stop what's coming. It ain't all waiting on you.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Wordpress 4.3.1 on SME 8.1
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:48:57 PM »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:08:36 AM »
Perfect. This sounds exactly like what I need. I'll try tomorrow and post back. Thanks for the help Janet.

guest22

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 01:48:49 AM »
Why would you not use the excellent wordpress contrib available?

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 02:11:32 AM »
I originally did use it and it was a very good contrib. I wanted the latest version and couldn't get it to update either. I also didn't want wordpress installed in /opt. My developer also wants to overwrite the install. Much easier to do via an ibay.

guest22

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:26:23 AM »
My developer also wants to overwrite the install. Much easier to do via an ibay.

Interestingly dangerous ;-)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:45:05 AM »
devtay

I wanted the latest version and couldn't get it to update either.

That is/was probably due to the same Uploadtmpdir issue.
I think you need to study your subject a little better, the information is freely available & has been published here for many many years now.

My developer also wants to overwrite the install. Much easier to do via an ibay.

You might want to assess versioning issues & dependency requirements. It is all very good for a developer to use the "latest" version etc, but make sure it is compatible with php & mysql & any other dependent packages that are on your server.

If you & your developer wants the latest & greatest, then maybe you should be running SME9.1, at least you have the most recent versions of various packages then.
Also if you run a 64bit server you can avail of Software Collections to run contribs that need specific versions of packages, alongside your standard SME server packages, see the various links in this article
http://wiki.contribs.org/Software_Collections

guest22

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 02:54:38 AM »
If you & your developer wants the latest & greatest, then maybe you should be running SME9.1, at least you have the most recent versions of various packages then.
Also if you run a 64bit server you can avail of Software Collections to run contribs that need specific versions of packages, alongside your standard SME server packages, see the various links in this article
http://wiki.contribs.org/Software_Collections

+1

Offline warren

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »
you could also use the following by adding the following to the wp-config.php file :

define('FS_METHOD','direct');

Once you have the updates to WP then look at using the http://wiki.contribs.org/Uploadtmpdir

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll take the advice to heart. Back to the drawing board.

guest22

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll take the advice to heart. Back to the drawing board.

Nice and good luck. Please keep strict security in mind, it may mean a trade off of some wishes....

ps. You may want to take a look at this page too http://wiki.contribs.org/UserManager. It could be helpful on providing restricted sftp access to a specific location for a 3rd party on your system.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »
Installed SME 8.1 to a new virtual server. Configured as server only and fully updated it. Installed the wordpress contrib per http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress. Instructions worked and wordpress was up and running in a few seconds. The contrib installs v 4.2.4 which now that I think about it will probably be fine with me. That is unless a particular plugin isn't compatible or there is a security vulnerability in the version running. I decided to try and get it all going anyways just in case.

I went ahead and checked out http://wiki.contribs.org/Uploadtmpdir#Specify_the_application_tmp_folder. The wordpress contrib already has the upload_tmp_dir line in /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf/92wordpress

$OUT .= "    php_value mysql.default_password $wordpress{DbPassword}\n";
$OUT .= "    php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /tmp\n";
if ($pass)
{

Just to be sure, I created /usr/share/wordpress/tmp per the instructions (to be more secure each web app needs it's own tmp dir) and modified the template according to the instructions in the link above.

$OUT .= "    php_value mysql.default_user $wordpress{DbUser}\n";
$OUT .= "    php_value mysql.default_password $wordpress{DbPassword}\n";
$OUT .= "    php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /usr/share/wordpress/tmp\n";
if ($pass)
{

Did a signal-event console-save and verified the change to php.ini file. I have only received one PHP error to the browser window or any of the possible log files listed. This was due to a bad theme that didn't properly define a function. Once I removed the theme, I went back to no errors. Since the change was to the templates instead of the templates-custom, I decided to change the /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf/92wordpress file back to the default. The page http://wiki.contribs.org/Uploadtmpdir#Specify_the_application_tmp_folder might read better if it reflects changing the custom templates. The way to remove the change says to delete the base template which I think would muck up the php.ini file. I'll need clarification of this then I can change the wiki page to reflect the new information.

I was able to install plugins, widgets, themes, and update them all. Also able to create pages, edit posts, make posts, etc. Base functionality is there. The problem with the update still exists. I get the following error.

Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/release/wordpress-4.3.1-no-content.zip…

Unpacking the update…

Verifying the unpacked files…

Preparing to install the latest version…

The update cannot be installed because we will be unable to copy some files. This is usually due to inconsistent file permissions.: wp-includes/class-simplepie.php, wp-includes/class-phpmailer.php, wp-includes/class-smtp.php

Installation Failed

What I have found so far was alluded to by warren in a post before. I googled it and came up with it's probably related to the symlinks for class-simplepie.php, class-phpmailer.php, and class-smtp.php created by the installation of the wordpress contrib (https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php read down to wordpress upgrade constants). I'm going to look through the templates and see if I can come up with a way to add the custom templates for FTP_BASE, FTP_CONTENT_DIR, and FTP_PLUGIN_DIR.

I feel like the upgrade is close. I just need to figure out the last little bit.

We own several different tld's for several domains (.com, .org, .biz, .info, .aero, etc) and I have them hosted on this server. Based on what I've read up to this point, does this mean I'll need several different statements in httpd.conf for each of the virtual domains?

Also, I want www.domain.com to be the wordpress site. As it sits now, to get to the wordpress install I need to go to www.domain.com/wordpress. I read about alternate URL's. When I do

config setprop wordpress URL http://testserver.xxxx.local
signal-event console-save

It doesn't work. I get the primary iBay default index file stating the site is under construction. When I'm done with this wordpress install, wordpress will be running our entire main site, not just a blog. I remembered this was why I decided to install it in an iBay in the first place. I couldn't figure out how to make our main web address resolve to the wordpress install. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also going to work on the sftp as RequestedDeletion mentioned.

I'm still working this and will resume tomorrow. I just wanted to post this so if anyone sees any security issues, stupid mistakes, or things I missed, it can be pointed out. As always, I appreciate the direction of everyone here. I'm the first to admit my skills are nowhere near those of the devs on this site. I'm willing to learn though.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 04:58:49 AM »
devtay

I want www.domain.com to be the wordpress site. As it sits now, to get to the wordpress install I need to go to www.domain.com/wordpress. I read about alternate URL's. When I do
config setprop wordpress URL http://testserver.xxxx.local
signal-event console-save

try issuing
signal-event post-upgrade
signal-event reboot

Also/instead in the Domains panel, you can point the main domain at the ibay you want it to resolve to, rather than resolving to the Primary ibay by default.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply Janet. I tried what you suggested but it didn't change anything. I think I need to actually look at the wp-config file to see where the changes are actually going for further troubleshooting. I see the URL property being added when I do config show wordpress.

The only way I can use the domains panel is if I still was installing wordpress in an iBay. I swapped over (due to recommendations in this thread) to working on trying to get the wordpress contrib where it will update. My test wordpress is installed in /usr/share/wordpress.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »
Have a read of THIS it may be of Help
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
Have a read of THIS it may be of Help

Can you check the link, please? I can't get it to work.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 08:35:47 PM »
devtay

You need to use a real resolvable domain name.
Using testserver.xxxx.local is not  advisable.
Use your actual domain eg
www.mydomain.com

IIRC using an unresolvable URL just takes you to the Primary ibay by default.
Even on a test server you need to setup the server & network so that any domain names (URLs) you configure, will actually resolve.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 11:03:47 PM »
Can you check the link, please? I can't get it to work.

Fat fingers sorry, how about http://wiki.contribs.org/Web_Application_Redirect_Tutorial
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 11:44:22 PM »
devtay

You can move the code from /opt/wordpress to the ibay/html folder.
You will need to change/correct config files & any template/custom template settings to match & remove aliases that were created by the templates to allow web access to /opt/.....

Look in the rpm for smeserver-wordpress & you can see all the files that are created when it installs, use mc to view it or the rpm command.

I have done it in the past & it works OK.

That redirect howto does introduce some other problems with the main web site & server manager IIRC, in some cases, so be warned.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:47:52 PM by janet »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:04 PM »
You would hope big people read things :-) the discussion section of that How To is also a must read for an alternative way
--
qui scribit bis legit

guest22

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
You would hope big people read things :-) the discussion section of that How To is also a must read for an alternative way

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean by this remark.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
devtay

You can move the code from /opt/wordpress to the ibay/html folder.
You will need to change/correct config files & any template/custom template settings to match & remove aliases that were created by the templates to allow web access to /opt/.....

Look in the rpm for smeserver-wordpress & you can see all the files that are created when it installs, use mc to view it or the rpm command.

I have done it in the past & it works OK.

That redirect howto does introduce some other problems with the main web site & server manager IIRC, in some cases, so be warned.

Ok. I can try that but I'm trying to do what was suggested earlier in this thread - that I just use the contrib and not install the application in an iBay because it's dangerous. I'm going to take a look at the links provided and see if I can get what I'm looking for.

My local DNS is resolving my .local domain. I made entries in my domains panel for my production SME server for www and mail (two different virtual servers). I actually use this setup to imapsync off of my production email server to my .local archive email server. I'm doing these tests on my test server so I have a workable install and can then do the work on my production server. I don't think the server cares if the internet is resolving my local domain or if my local DNS server is resolving it. As long as the http request hits the test server, it works. At least it's working on my LAN.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
devtay

It is quite OK to install web apps/contribs into ibays, there is nothing dangerous about doing that.

The "Interestingly dangerous" comment made earlier, I believe was in regard to allowing a developer to upload & overwite files & to overwite your mysql databases, allowing that sort of access could be considered dangerous.

There was comment made many years ago to install web contribs to /opt, rather than ibays, so many contrib coders went that way, but the insistence on doing that was eased in later comments.
AFAIK there is no really strong reason not to install web apps to ibays.
Both /opt & ibays have issues, as allowing web access is really a compromise on security wherever you place web accessible files.

The other issue raised re ibays, was that users could access the ibay & corrupt files or change configs etc, so any ibays that have web contribs in them, should have restricted access to LAN users, ie a seperate Group is created for ibays that are web sites, so only a tech administrator (Group) can access the files using samba etc.

ibays were designed on smeserver (then e-smith) to be used for web content.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »

Simple, read the bloody thing, ALL of it.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »

sometimes I miss a "Like" button in the FB's way.. :-)

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »

How about if you don't want to help, don't read or reply to the thread? I didn't ask you for your attitude and I don't appreciate your negative comments. I'm not the "expert" you are hence the reason I'm asking questions in this forum. I'd similarly like a mute button so I don't have to deal with people like you. If someone doesn't understand, reading a post makes no difference. SME is for "non-technical" admins but when someone asks a question they get flamed. Nice.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
How about if you don't want to help, don't read or reply to the thread? I didn't ask you for your attitude and I don't appreciate your negative comments. I'm not the "expert" you are hence the reason I'm asking questions in this forum. I'd similarly like a mute button so I don't have to deal with people like you. If someone doesn't understand, reading a post makes no difference. SME is for "non-technical" admins but when someone asks a question they get flamed. Nice.

devtay, please..

even if for "non-technical admins", SME requires a bit of knowledge.. and the only way to improve your knowledge is to ask properly and to follow properly the advices you get.

moreover, since you're telling us you're administering a server on which you're installing a web app (that I guess will be published on WAN side), you HAVE to know what you're doing.

so, no flame at all.. just follow the advices, try, report here any/every issue you find.

HTH

guest22

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
Devtay,

I think we have a simple case of misunderstanding here. Terry IS a grumpy old b#astard, but a good one :-) Sometimes we joke around and are too brief in our replies. Then if you don't the person, it may appear harsh :-)

Let's focus on your efforts.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Terry IS a grumpy old b#astard

me too, me too :-D

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
I don't know where to start :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
No flame intended, directness can be a weakness I know :-)

Might have been a little coffee deprived, I can assure you if a flame had been intended there would have been no doubt what my intention was :-)

Good luck with your projects.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »
Ok. Understood to everyone's replies. I'm going to add my name to the grumpy list. Chalk it up to my sense of humor being turned off. Getting pressure here from the boss and the developer at this point.

I'm going to take a break then get back at it after lunch. I'll take a fresh look at things then and report back the issues I'm running into.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 05:02:39 PM »
you are welcome (in grumpy list too ;-) )

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 05:07:06 PM »
Ah its all part of being human :-) now enough of the warm and fuzzy stuff..

I was not aware of the excellent contrib by Daniel of FWS that HF mentioned,
http://wiki.contribs.org/Webapps-common

Had I been I would have also recommended it. Having had a look it would appear to do what you want and with a lot less effort and worry than with the tutorial I mentioned.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »
Devtay

l

To say it another way
Adults should read the available document fully & completely, including attached pages eg the Discussion tab

devtay I think your response is quite uncalled for, you should not blast anyone the way you did to Terry just because he said you should read the whole document. He was helping you to find other information that you may have overlooked.

I am now asking you to apologise & withdraw your  unpleasant statement IMMEDIATELY.

There is no place at all here for the comments you just made. Keep your emotional sensitivity to yourself & refrain from having outbursts in this forum. Thank you.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 09:34:31 PM »
Ah its all part of being human :-) now enough of the warm and fuzzy stuff..

I was not aware of the excellent contrib by Daniel of FWS that HF mentioned,
http://wiki.contribs.org/Webapps-common

Had I been I would have also recommended it. Having had a look it would appear to do what you want and with a lot less effort and worry than with the tutorial I mentioned.

Appreciate it and I agree about the webapps. I'm working in that direction now. Have decided not to reinvent the wheel and use the wordpress contrib. There is much more functionality to it than the iBay install method at this point and I'd rather have standard packages installed than a custom one for future updates. I told the developer to live with the slightly older version of wordpress. I think the webapps-common contrib can still work even though the wordpress contrib installs wordpress to /usr/share/wordpress vice /opt/. Will report back once I have had a chance to fiddle with it. Thanks.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 11:43:20 PM »
I'm a little stuck and need some help. I've looked at the httpd.conf file and I know what changes need to be made to it in order to make the main domain serve the /usr/share/wordpress/ directory instead of /primary. I've even changed it manually and restarted apache and verified it will work. I expanded the template again and have my default httpd.conf file back. I just manually changed it to verify my thoughts were correct.

I'm looking at the templates located at /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. I believe the file that creates the line for the DocumentRoot is contained in /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf/80VirtualHosts but I can't figure it out. It looks like the information should be stored in the domains database but it's not listed with db domains show. Where in the heck is that line coming from?

I also spent some time working with webapps-common but I can't get it to change the primary domain. It just adds <VirtualDomain></VirtualDomain> directives outside of the directive for the primary domain.

I also modified /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf/92wordpress and added code similar to the code found in http://wiki.contribs.org/Web_Application_Redirect_Tutorial. I created a wordpress property called domain and stored the domain I want to redirect there. The template change worked and added a new <VirtualDomain> directive with the correct DocumentRoot. However, apache didn't use it. I can't find in the apache 2.2.3 docs anything about precedence of <VirtualDomain> directives but it seems like once there's a declaration, apache ignores any similar directives.

I'm going to use the SEF URL suggestion in http://wiki.contribs.org/Joomla to modify the <Directory> directive to work with wordpress so that is the last piece. Until I get a solution to the DocumentRoot though, the rest doesn't matter.

As mentioned, I do know the changes that need to be made to the documentroot, but I can't find the point to make the change. Any push in the right direction or explanation will be greatly appreciated.

The direction I'm going in is:
1. Find the way to change the documentroot for the primary domain on the server.
2. Remove the Rewriterule for /wordpress
3. Change the directory directive for /usr/share/wordpress to allow symlinks, indexes, and AllowOverride for .htaccess.

guest22

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 11:45:35 PM »
You can change your primary HTML domain to any ibay content by default in server manager...

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 11:52:52 PM »
You can change your primary HTML domain to any ibay content by default in server manager...

Yup. Have done that a ton of times. However, the wordpress contrib installs to /usr/share/wordpress. I guess this would be a "custom" entry for the main domain on the server. I've got wordpress up and running just need the final little bit to get the main domain to be served from /usr/share/wordpress.

guest22

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »
Maybe we need to ask Stephane to adapt the contrib to have a db entry that holds the wanted path... That should not be a huge task.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2015, 12:12:06 AM »
Maybe we need to ask Stephane to adapt the contrib to have a db entry that holds the wanted path... That should not be a huge task.

Good idea. I'll send the email request now.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 06:58:18 AM »
devtay

.....just need the final little bit to get the main domain to be served from /usr/share/wordpress.

In an earlier post in this thread, I said:
"You can move the code from /opt/wordpress to the ibay/html folder.
Look in the rpm for smeserver-wordpress & you can see all the files that are created when it installs, use mc to view it or the rpm command."

So copy the contrib rpm to your server (ie the smeserver-wordpress), use mc to view the rpm package.
In there you will see all the various files created when the rpm installs.

Typically you would be looking for the template that contains the alias fragments.
Change those or better still create a custom template with the changes, & your domain should point at the wordpress site.

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »
devtay

In an earlier post in this thread, I said:
"You can move the code from /opt/wordpress to the ibay/html folder.
Look in the rpm for smeserver-wordpress & you can see all the files that are created when it installs, use mc to view it or the rpm command."

So copy the contrib rpm to your server (ie the smeserver-wordpress), use mc to view the rpm package.
In there you will see all the various files created when the rpm installs.

Typically you would be looking for the template that contains the alias fragments.
Change those or better still create a custom template with the changes, & your domain should point at the wordpress site.

Thank you for pointing this out to me again. I'll give it a shot. I'm going to keep track of the changes that get made along the way and update the wordpress wiki page just in case I'm not the only one needing to do this.

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »
I'm a little stuck and need some help. I've looked at the httpd.conf file and I know what changes need to be made to it in order to make the main domain serve the /usr/share/wordpress/ directory instead of /primary. I've even changed it manually and restarted apache and verified it will work. I expanded the template again and have my default httpd.conf file back. I just manually changed it to verify my thoughts were correct.

I'm looking at the templates located at /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. I believe the file that creates the line for the DocumentRoot is contained in /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf/80VirtualHosts but I can't figure it out. It looks like the information should be stored in the domains database but it's not listed with db domains show. Where in the heck is that line coming from?

# db domains show junco.es
junco.es=domain
    Content=ola
    Description=mailman
    Nameservers=internet

ola is my Ibay as documentroot

I also modified /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf/92wordpress and added code similar to the code found in http://wiki.contribs.org/Web_Application_Redirect_Tutorial. I created a wordpress property called domain and stored the domain I want to redirect there. The template change worked and added a new <VirtualDomain> directive with the correct DocumentRoot. However, apache didn't use it. I can't find in the apache 2.2.3 docs anything about precedence of <VirtualDomain> directives but it seems like once there's a declaration, apache ignores any similar directives.

I suppose that you have restarted httpd-esmith instead of apache ?
sv h /service/httpd-e-smithdoes the domain you want to use is not already in use in the domain database ?
As mentioned, I do know the changes that need to be made to the documentroot, but I can't find the point to make the change. Any push in the right direction or explanation will be greatly appreciated.
please let your modification there

The direction I'm going in is:
1. Find the way to change the documentroot for the primary domain on the server.
2. Remove the Rewriterule for /wordpress
3. Change the directory directive for /usr/share/wordpress to allow symlinks, indexes, and AllowOverride for .htaccess.

This is valid remark/nfr I did some of them for the dark side of the force, I could rewrite the template and let you the abilities to add your fragment inside the template, idem for AllowOverride

but at the end :)

I wonder why you don't start from scratch with the wordpress webapp in an Ibay....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:22:08 PM by stephdl »
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2015, 07:18:04 AM »
As far as automatic updates, I am not sure I can help you. On my server, for security reasons, I have FTP disabled and I have clear passwords disabled, I use public/ private ssl keys. So I have to do manual updates using SFTP. It can be a pain to keep Wordpress, all the plugins and all the themes up to date, but that is something I am willing to put up with for security.

As far as installing wordpress in iBay, I have creted instructions, that have few extra steps that were not mentioned, which might help you.
You can find instructions here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite

SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:

Offline devtay

• +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 11:55:55 PM »
@calisun

Thanks for the link. I actually did the A series steps the first time I installed Wordpress in an iBay. It worked out great. I did similar steps this time to move the current contrib to an iBay and I'm about ready to test it out. The good news is if I muck it up, I've got the original wordpress install with the developer's data included. I'm going to do your steps A2 and A3 for the remainder of my SEO setup so google can properly index the site. Thanks for doing this. The only reason I didn't keep the install and tried the contrib is I couldn't get the automatic update to work. Thanks for clarifying this. I may put a line or two in the wiki explaining this for future victims.

When I was reading about Wordpress I found the manual upgrade instructions on their site and it looks like they want you to deactivate all of the plugins and replace everything but the content directories with the new version. Now that I have Wordpress in it's own iBay, I may just experiment with the manual upgrade process. There are like 15 plugins currently being used by the site so it may take some time to do the core and the plugins.

Have you run into any issues with using /tmp for phpbasedir? The only reason I'm asking is I've read on the wiki and forums to have separate /tmp locations for each webapp for "security".

Your page on wordpress multi-site is awesome by the way. Thanks for the comments.

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 05:57:16 AM »
Have you run into any issues with using /tmp for phpbasedir? The only reason I'm asking is I've read on the wiki and forums to have separate /tmp locations for each webapp for "security".

That is correct, you should have a different /tmp for each webapp, in the instructions /tmp location for that iBay is in that iBay, so a different iBay will have its own /tmp. Also to make it even safer, it should be ok to name the /tmp something else.

Thank you for your kind words, good to know that my instructions are useful.
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2015, 09:01:29 PM »
[stephdl@shell ~]$ cp /teams/smeserver/8/test/wordpress-4.3.1-1.el5.noarch.rpm /teams/smeserver/8/contribs

wordpress-4.3.1-1 pushed to smecontribs

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:41 PM »
This is valid remark/nfr I did some of them for the dark side of the force, I could rewrite the template and let you the abilities to add your fragment inside the template, idem for AllowOverride

Allowoverride, Indexes, Symlinks are done, the document root is much more harder :)