Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PXE Boot TFTP client does not accept options [solved]

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
PXE Boot TFTP client does not accept options [solved]
« on: October 08, 2015, 05:06:51 AM »
Am trying to set up old PC's to PXE boot a kiosk. At present, and using our domain windows DHCP and that points to our WDT server. I have that currently working to pxeboot the PC's fine, but I have (for good reason) to press F12 to continue the boot. The boot files are hosting on the SME in an ibay.

I am trying to point DHCP to set the pxeboot options for the reserved mac address, and it is kind of working - it picks up the DHCP and sets the TFTP option onto the SME box fine, and it is requesting the pxelinux.0 file, but TFTP is timing out.

On the client I get PXE-E32: TFTP Open timeout a couple of times then it exits (as it should). If I change the pxelinux.0 filename, it comes back straight away the file can't be found, so I know the boot options are correct. Looking in the TFTP log on the server simply shows the connection made, but just checked the messages log and I see
Oct  8 15:04:02 smeserver in.tftpd[3899]: RRQ from 10.105.110.80 filename boot/pxelinux.0
Oct  8 15:04:02 smeserver in.tftpd[3899]: tftp: client does not accept options

Google around I found  to add “-r blksize” ont the end of the server_args line, however that looks like it was using xinetd, SME is not using that.

Any ideas ?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:41:58 PM by axessit »

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: PXE Boot TFTP client does not accept options
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »
Are you using the SME tftpd contrib ? If so the requires are for tftp-server and that requires xinetd

You might think the options are run from:

/etc/xinetd.d/tftp

But they aren't....

/var/service/tftpd/run - manually sets arguments when started - view it for CL/DB options but I don't think there is one in there for server-args (a NFR I guess)

Simple test is just to use a plain tftp client to see if you can grab the pxelinux.0 file

Try :

tftp my.tftp.server
get pxelinux.0

I think you could then try editing /var/service/tftpd/run and add the -B option as follows :

Code: [Select]
    exec    udpsvd -h $TFTPD_LOG_SETTING -u $TFTPD_USER \
$TFTPD_ACCESS_SETTING $TFTPD_UDPPORT \
        in.tftpd $TFTPD_LOG_SETTING $TFTPD_PRIVILEGE_SETTING \
-u $TFTPD_USER $TFTPD_TIMEOUT_SETTING -s $TFTPD_DIRECTORY -B max-block-size

No guarantees and YMMV....

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
Re: PXE Boot TFTP client does not accept options
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:38:53 AM »
Yep, using the SME tftpd contrib.

I tried downloading a simple windows client, and that doesn't work either. I see the connects OK in the log. I'll try the service/tftpd/run option Monday.

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
Re: PXE Boot TFTP client does not accept options [solved]
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 10:15:55 PM »
Yeah, added the -r blksize to the end of the line as you suggested, then bingo, up she boots.

Cheers John.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: PXE Boot TFTP client does not accept options [solved]
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 11:27:43 PM »
Yeah, added the -r blksize to the end of the line as you suggested, then bingo, up she boots.

Cheers John.

No worries and pleased I could help !

If I remember it may be something we could add a db variable for it in the contrib. Ought to open a bug on it.

Also I'm not sure why its embedded in the run file and not from the config at

/etc/xinetd.d/tftp

I'll try and find out.

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation