Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

cannot restore email received or sent after internet is come back

Offline ahmedsa

• +0/-0
cannot restore email received or sent after internet is come back
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:27:24 AM »
IF I send email from my domain OR receive email and my mail server no internet access
to one hour . within these hour i must receive emails from some one or sent
Question : Can i restore  the email received or email sent after internet is connected or come OR this is not possible because some people tell me i send email to your email company and i check email in my company not work(no internet access,any other problem) and i need to restore this

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: cannot restore email received or sent after internet is come back
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 08:49:43 AM »
ahmedsa

Assuming your external MX records are configured appropriately (& based on some of your earlier posts I have doubts about that), then any mail sent to your domain which was undeliverable for an hour, should be sent again by the external mail server after a specified retry time.
Most mail servers will follow the rules & retry periodically (eg every hour or a few) for 7 days, at which time they give up completely & send an undeliverable message to the original sender.

Some mail servers that do not conform to standards only retry for 2 days, then send an undeliverable message to the original sender.

So the "missing" emails should be in a "retry queue" on a mail server somewhere on the Internet, & will be sent to you after a few hours or so, depending on the retry time of that particular sending mail server.

Have patience, everyone thinks email is "instant" & that moments after a message is sent, it should be received, but that is not really the case, as there are many things that can delay email messages for up to 7 days.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:45:40 PM by janet »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ahmedsa

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:03:49 AM »
this is according to send
what about receive
how to restore recieve

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
what about receive
how to restore recieve

you don't need to restore anything, as long as you are connected to WAN..

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 12:50:35 PM »
ahmedsa

No your statement is incorrect.
I am referring to people sending mail to your server, which is your receiving of mail (it's the same thing depending which perspective you see it from).

what about receive
how to restore recieve

As already described, mail is in the queue waiting to be retried for delivery
I am talking about external people sending mail to you, which is therefore your receiving of mail.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:33:02 AM »
As we have said to you before, you need to find someone who speaks your language and has a basic understanding of how the Internet works. He/she will do a better job of understanding your questions and explaining things to you than we are able to.

As a basic answer to your question, Internet email is *designed* to be a store-and-forward system, which will work without any intervention during temporary connectivity outages. If your server cannot be contacted, the sending system will keep the message and try again later. You don't need to do anything except wait for the message to arrive.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 04:08:29 AM »
ahmedsa

I'll say ity again !

For sending from your local users to external addresses - email messages will be queued by your SME server mail server, & when Internet connectivity returns, the messages will automatically be sent (immediately depending how many mails are waiting to be sent).

For receiving from external people to email addresses on your SME server - messages will be queued by the senders (external) mail server, if the mail server cannot contact your SME server domain/mail server (due to lack of Internet connection eg the flashing PPP light), then the messages are queued for delivery retry (on the external mail server). It will retry periodically depending on the system policy, & when your Internet connection returns, on the next retry the mail should get delivered to your SME server mail server (subject to bandwidth & how many mails in the queue).

There is nothing for you to do.