Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Weekly backup media

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
Weekly backup media
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:39:40 AM »
I bought an external usb hard disk for the weekly fullbackup purpose.
What is the correct file system for that hard disk and what is the most successful command to accomplish this fullbackup weekly. I have planned to backup on friday, then unplug the hdd and keep in a safe place until next friday. Thanks

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
Re: Weekly backup media
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:51:36 AM »
you can use the console for that, you have an option for backup purpose.

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter6

can I propose that you read the manual -> http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation

See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
smnirosh

Yes you do need to read the manual, I think you are being a bit lazy to ask questions that are answered elsewhere.
Also read the excellent Howtos & FAQ as there is a lot of additional information that adds to or supports what has been written in the official Manual(s). Links to all these are at the top of the Forum.

I bought an external usb hard disk for the weekly fullbackup purpose.
What is the correct file system for that hard disk and what is the most successful command to accomplish this fullbackup weekly.
See
http://wiki.contribs.org/USBDisks
particularly the section on Formatting your USB disk
I strongly advise you to use
ext3 or ext4, much more robust.

In brief,
To configure a regular backup, do this in the server manager, Backup or Restore panel, & select Backup to workstation (which also includes backup to connected USB drives).
Configure for a full backup once a week. Alternatively you can configure for a full backup & then daily incrementals & only connect the drive on the day/night you want a backup done.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »
Ok. I have read this manual but remained 2 quuiz
1 what is the meaning of this phrase

Important.png   Note:
The console backup to USB device is an independent method not related to the server-manager backup

2 i concerted the usb hard disk formated to ext3 but server manager backup says no usb disks. Why that

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »
Ok. I have read this manual but remained 2 quuiz
1 what is the meaning of this phrase

Important.png   Note:
The console backup to USB device is an independent method not related to the server-manager backup

2 i concerted the usb hard disk formated to ext3 but server manager backup says no usb disks. Why that

1 - It is a different backup process and produces a different file format as a single *.tgz file

2 - So when you select "Backup or Restore" in server manager then "Configure Workstation Backup" from the drop down list then in the "Configure Workstation Backup" window select "Local Removable disk" from the drop down menu and in the next window under "Backup workstation settings" "Local removable disk" you do not see the volume name of the external hard drive you have connected via USB?

As you can see at no time do you get a response from the server of "no usb disks" so detail exactly what you do and what you see, take screen shots if you have to, the wiki describes exactly what to do.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
smnirosh

Connect your external USB disk & at the command prompt do
fdisk -l

Show us the output
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:58:33 AM by janet »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.