Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Affa sme9 to backup SME8.1

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Affa sme9 to backup SME8.1
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
First of all, thank you for yours answers.  :-P
In fact, I forgot to mention that the servers are 400km away and that I want to do all the operations during one day (to avoid several trips or hotel nights).  :-?
In my situation : I don't need a shortest downtime : the SME8 server is down and I have a workaround.

Yes, the small affa SME9 can do a rise but I have to add first a another network card (it has only one and the SME8 is a gateway server). On the other hand it will be very slow (small processor and very few RAM). So, I'm afraid that the stefano solution of is too long to hold in 1 day (I have 1.2To data around). I'm agree it is the simplest way for lots of situation but not for mine. It would be perfect if the servers were next to me :(  :-(

That's why I was thinking more about the second solution: I can launch the USB backup before (a remote person can connect the USB drive).
On D-Day, I only have to restore the USB disk and then do a "rise".

Is that correct?

@ReetP : thanks for the information for masq

Just do a rise on SME9 and let it run (after you added the second nic)..
then do as I suggested.. you don't need to be in place when you'll do the rise on the new machine..

alternatively, I migrated serveral times SME from HW to HW (and from 7/8 to 9) using a custom script based on rsync..

did it also on far remote machines from me (700km) without touching them :-)

if you need help, let me know

Offline globalsi

• +0/-0
Re: Affa sme9 to backup SME8.1
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
Just do a rise on SME9 and let it run (after you added the second nic)..
then do as I suggested.. you don't need to be in place when you'll do the rise on the new machine..
Yes but after the rise on the new machine, I have to physically connect it correctly between the router and the LAN (this not a server-only but a gateway server).

However, if your solution is guaranteed and mine is not, I will try to bet helped by a remote person for the connections.  :-(