Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How to test telephone line connected to Cisco router is connected or not

Offline ahmedsa

• +0/-0
Hi guys I have SME 8 mail server work in server only mode and connected by Cisco firewall router
sme 8.0 has good settings but not internet access.
I doubt in telephone line connected to Cisco firewall router.
My question How i know that telephone line connected with Cisco router is working or offline

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
wan connection is a cisco router matter..

if you can ping your router from SME but nothing outside, you have to check the router..
try pinging an external IP (it will tell you if you are connected to WAN)
try to ping an external host (if the ip ping is fine but this check fails, you have an issue with DNS resolution)

if the problem is with your router, ask to the ISP or to your technician to solve it

guest22

My question How i know that telephone line connected with Cisco router is working or offline

No idea what kind of router you are using, but normally there are LED's on the router telling you the status and activity. Maybe RTMF?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
ahmedsa

I doubt in telephone line connected to Cisco firewall router.

You would typically connect a Windows workstation or similar computer (ie the NIC port) directly to your router (with the physical connection to sme server & the rest of the network disconnected), & login as admin to the router via a web browser, again typically to 192.168.1.1 (but that will depend on your router & what settings have been made to it).
Then you will see control panel(s) & typically there are pages that will show the external connection, speed, activity, connection protocol etc & perform diagnostics for you.

This should all be detailed in the router Manual, so please read it, as has been advised already.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.