Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Workstation Backup

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Workstation Backup
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
is there any (open) bug about it?

IMO we should change backup behaviour.. I mean.. a full backup with hundreds/thousands GB of data need many hours, days to complete.. backup script should start and continue till the end.. it should create a lockfile and check for the existence of it at start.. if the lockfile exists then another backup instance is running.. abort and send an informative email to root.. when backup is done the lockfile is removed..

@p-jones: if you can, try no use nfs.. in my experience it is almost 3 times faster than smb

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »
Stefano,

there is not an open bug for this. My primary issue was a mis-configuration, not a bug and the balance of my issues are the limitations of the software.

Your comments re lockfile make perfect sense however I dont believe it appropiate to raise an NFR for V8/8.1 and I have not progressed to V9 as yet.

I have trialed nfs rather than cifs however I have not experienced anywhere near close to a 3x speed improvement. Speed improvement, if any, is very small, in my experience

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 09:13:52 AM »
Just an update, from my  January 12, 2015, 12:11:24 PM  post..

Turned out to be a Cat5 Ethernet cable from a wall socket to a basic D-Link DGS-1005A switch, it turned out to be an intermittent loss of connectivity, perhaps caused by changes in ambient temperatures in an room that is not air conned or cooled, anyway it was not consistent, only confirmed it as I was watching the switch as it lost connectivity, a jiggle and it was back, an hour or so later gone again.

Changed the cable and all problems have now gone, hopefully never to return :-) so as always make sure the easy basic things are right first before going digging :-)
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 03:05:58 AM »