Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Moving to 9 questions

Offline lloydh

• +0/-0
Moving to 9 questions
« on: November 02, 2014, 04:56:57 AM »
I'm looking at upgrading from SME8 to SME9 and I have some questions.      The use of my SME8 home server has changed over the years, it now has 4 x 2TB disks in a RAID 5 array and is now used as a NAS as well as firewall storage of critical files.    I backup essential data (around 500MB) nightly to a 2TB USB disk, the remainder of the data on the server is multimedia files that are not backed up but there is a copy of most on my media player.      I have no contribs installed but I have a UPS.

Because SME9 will be going on the same hardware as SME8 and there is no upgrade path I am a bit nervous about the upgrade so I am running SME9 in a VM on my desktop to get the feel of it.     To backup the rest of the data I have a 4TB USB disk with GPT partition and ext4  connected to a basic Centos 7 server, I mount the SME shares and rsync the data to the 4TB USB disk

My basic plan after reading http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:9.0#Upgrade_Notes is :-

1) Do a full backup of the critical data to the USB disk.
2) Rsync the remaining files to the 4TB USB disk.
3) Install SME 9.
4) Restore from the full backup.
5) Rsync the multimedia files back from the 4TB USB disk.

I have two questions.

1) There seem to be changes from SME8 to SME9 in the way USB disks are handled, specifically in what had to be added to fstab.     For my SME8 server I added the fillowing line.
/dev/sde1      /media/WD003      ext3   pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 2

After playing around with SME9 I found that didn't work and I have come up with the following.
/dev/sde1               /media/WD003            ext3    noauto    0 2

Is that all I need for a USB disk to be used for backups, I couldn't find anything in Wiki.

2) When I installed the 4 x 2TB disks on SME8 I used the following command for the installation.

sme raid=5 spares=0 multipart

This gave me the following disk partitions.

# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/main-root
                      3.9G  1.7G  2.1G  45% /
/dev/md1               99M   27M   68M  29% /boot
/dev/mapper/main-tmp  3.9G  137M  3.6G   4% /tmp
/dev/mapper/main-files
                      5.3T  2.1T  3.0T  42% /home/e-smith/files
/dev/mapper/main-var  3.9G  1.8G  1.9G  49% /var
tmpfs                 3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm
#

I want to keep the same configutation as I have now mainly because I want to keep 'files' separate from the system in case the partition becomes full.      I will use the GUI installation method with the following partition sizes.

/boot 500MB
root 10GB
/var 10GB
/tmp 10GB
/files will occupy the remainder of the space

Does anybody see any problems in doing this type of configuration.