Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Question re kernel and kmod for sail

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
Question re kernel and kmod for sail
« on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
I know this is a bit of an old chestnut these days, but something that has confused the hell out of me is which one to choose? I know that it must or should match the kernel?
eg

kmod-dahdi-linux-2.8.0.1-1_centos5.2.6.18_308.8.2.el5.i686.rpm Is dated Dec 2013
   kmod-dahdi-linux-2.6.2-1_centos5.2.6.18_348.12.1.el5.i686.rpm is dated July 2013

I know this is probably sounding rather stupid, but which is the later? I would have assumed the 348.12.1 ? Only reason I want to find the latest is that the kernel that comes with the Sail 3 ISO, is that the kernel has issues with the motherboard in my machine. And I would like to install the latest kernel and kmod that will work and not kill asterisk.

Thanks P
Infamy, Infamy, they all have it in for me!

guest22

Re: Question re kernel and kmod for sail
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
Since you've installed an ISO from Sail/Selintra, it reckon you're best of asking them directly on their forums. These are the SME Server ISO and contribs related forums.

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
It is based on an ISO of SME server, so this is the right place to ask questions on it, as the issue is valid for a manual installation, it is just easier to install via the iso, then you only have the upgrade to worry about, which brings me straight back to the kernel /kmod question

Or I just just say, I have installed following the instructions from an earlier post, which is the latest kernel I can use without it breaking Asterisk?

guest22

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »
Kernel, kmod and DAHDI must be in sync to be workable. Make sure they are (available) before upgrading.

Do you really need DAHDI?

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »
Kernel, kmod and DAHDI must be in sync to be workable. Make sure they are (available) before upgrading.

Do you really need DAHDI?

I always thought it used that even for systems without interfaces? Probably another of those wrong ideas I have picked up in my jaded life.

P

guest22

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »
I always thought it used that even for systems without interfaces?

It used to be mandatory in old asterisk version (<=1.4) where the DAHDI interface card (hardware) was used as a timing source for the conference application. That is no longer required since Asterisk 1.6, where there are other build in timing options which are automatically chosen, or one could prefer a method.

If you use Asterisk pure for VoIP (SIP or IAX2) e.g. internal network only or with a SIP provider, and no POTS or ISDN, then you can leave out DAHDI all together.

ps. IIRC Sail has a hard coded dependency on DAHDI, if so, then that's too bad.

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »
Hi HF

Thanks for the information. I suppose this will be answered via the Sail admins on the hard coded part. Did wonder about upgrading to version 4, that uses a later asterisk and seems to be the way they are developing the product. Must admit I only use this to keep in touch with friends, and out of all the asterisk based systems I have tried, this seems the most stable and reasonably friendly. Freesentral seems promising, but really like the idea of an all in one, does it all server for home, commercial is a different animal.

What VOIP is everyone else using?

Paul.