Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Sail as a hosted platform

Offline richardsmith

• +0/-0
Sail as a hosted platform
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
Just wondered if anyone had tried using Sail in a hosted server environment and their experience of this? Also how secure is the multi tenant side of things i.e. 1 tenant not getting access to the other tenant details?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Richard

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
Re: Sail as a hosted platform
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
If you go for the commercial product then it is very well supported, and a number of companies use it for exactly that. If you are in the UK I would talk to the distributor.

Regards Paul.
Infamy, Infamy, they all have it in for me!

Offline richardsmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »
I didn't realise you could buy it as a license only product, assumed you had to buy it with the hardware.  I will give my friendly disti a call in a bit :-)

guest22

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »
Just wondered if anyone had tried using Sail in a hosted server environment and their experience of this? Also how secure is the multi tenant side of things i.e. 1 tenant not getting access to the other tenant details?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Richard

1. Asterisk works very well in a hosted environment
2. Asterisk was never designed as a multi tenant engine. All "solutions" are based on external code interacting with Asterisk AMI

There is a reason why you have difficulties "finding" a multi tenant solution out of the box, and why there are commercial offerings. By design multi tenant will never be secure, unless the core asterisk design changes.

Freeswitch figured this out a while ago. So did Cisco, Avaya and Mitel.

Offline Drifting

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »
I didn't realise you could buy it as a license only product, assumed you had to buy it with the hardware.  I will give my friendly disti a call in a bit :-)

Ah, not sure on that point, you could well be right, I am going back a few years since we sold Sail / Sark commercially (Business closed). However have quite a network of friends who all use it now.
Believe Provu are the UK Disti.
Paul.
Infamy, Infamy, they all have it in for me!

Offline SARK devs

• +1/-0
    • http://sarkpbx.com
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:49:25 PM »
2. Asterisk was never designed as a multi tenant engine. All "solutions" are based on external code interacting with Asterisk AMI

Er... Interesting assertions.   

SARK does not use the AMI to manage multi tenancy and neither does it's main competitor in the UK.   For that matter, neither does the German multi-tenant Asterisk implementation used by Gigaset, among others.  Of course this is dependant upon just what you mean by multi-tenancy, but if you mean multiple companies sharing a single PBX instance, usually because they are collocated in the same building or campus, then external code interacting through the AMI is not a requirement to control it.  It can be done using the inbuilt Asterisk concept of context plus the logic to distribute call flow according to database vectors.  As to the assertion that it is insecure because of some shortcoming in the Asterisk architecture, or why it is any more or less secure than any other Asterisk implementation then I guess we would have to ask HF to explain.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:51:50 PM by SARK devs »

guest22

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:40:32 PM »
Er... Interesting assertions.   

SARK does not use the AMI to manage multi tenancy and neither does it's main competitor in the UK.   For that matter, neither does the German multi-tenant Asterisk implementation used by Gigaset, among others.  Of course this is dependant upon just what you mean by multi-tenancy, but if you mean multiple companies sharing a single PBX instance, usually because they are collocated in the same building or campus, then external code interacting through the AMI is not a requirement to control it.  It can be done using the inbuilt Asterisk concept of context plus the logic to distribute call flow according to database vectors.  As to the assertion that it is insecure because of some shortcoming in the Asterisk architecture, or why it is any more or less secure than any other Asterisk implementation then I guess we would have to ask HF to explain.

No, I will not explain for it is common knowledge and out in the known asterisk related discussions forums. Digium itself strongly advises that Asterisk was never designed to be a multi tenancy telephony engine. Heck it is not even supported an any Digium core or  Asterisk official derivatives.

As for UK competitors to SARK, this is a global community. Did any of the Sark devs talk to our Indian or Chinese collegues? I'm happy to bring you in to contact with them if you speak Indian, Hindi Cantonese or Chinese.

The world is bigger then one could assume....

ps. it took the SARK devs another 2 weeks to even reply to a very specific SARK related question.