Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Closed

guest22

Closed
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
Hi all,

I've learned of https://docker.com/ the other day, and I am intrigued by it..

A short summary from Wikipedia:
"Docker is an open-source project that automates the deployment of applications inside software containers, providing that way an additional layer of abstraction and automatization of operating system–level virtualization on Linux. Docker uses resource isolation features of the Linux kernel such as cgroups and kernel namespaces to allow independent "containers" to run within a single Linux instance, avoiding the overhead of starting virtual machines"

Basically a Docker image can hold an application and it's dependencies, or a whole OS and applications. Docker Images containers are freely available from Docker repositories or you can can build your own images and repo.

I played a bit with Docker and it is way too easy to install, has a very small foorprint and the documentation and examples are *excellent*. I suggestion you try to install Docker and follow the example for a sshd container based on Ubuntu, or create a container with Centos 5, 6 or 7.

The reason why I am intrigued is (after reading and seeing some presentations of DockerCon conference of last june), it should be quite possible to create a SME Server image, that can be easily deployed.

Now there are also presentations and documentation on how Docker compares to OpenVZ, KVM and other hyper visualization platforms, so that would not be subject of this thread.

I'm sure I would not be the only one that is interested in a SME Server Docker image, so I was wondering if a few of us could get something started. I believe we have all that is required laying around somewhere (e.g. kickstarter file, SME Server RPM repo's etc).

It would be interesting to see if we can create a "smeserver-9-Docker-base" image from which one could create their own images.

What do you think? Is it feasible, are you interested to give it a go?

http://wiki.contribs.org/Docker

TIA

Offline Xavier.A

• +0/-0
Re: Docker SME Server container
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
hi,

We are working on it !

But because of lack of collaboration between Koozali guys and us we didn't communicate about it !

You can find some tuto at : http://www.smeserver.eu/co/tuto-Hebergement_de_conteneur_Docker_sur_SME_Server_Edu.html
We didn't publish everything but if you are really interested on it, we could do it, in english too. The wiki page is not complete you should follow our tuto !

For the moment we succeed to build SME 9 as Linux Container with 2 network interfaces with a specific RPM for Openvswitch (RPM and SRC are in our private repo). Our SME 9 Docker container is ready too but we have to optimize it.

I have rebuilt the bridge interface contrib of fws to modify br0 in vmbr0 and to drop the openvpn dependency !

We are developping a panel to transform SME Server Edu (aka SME9) in a real Cloud platform to host KVM, LXC, and of course Docker container,  because we are thinking that will be the best way to deploy complex application.

Everything will be available in the SME Server EDU ISO only and in our specific repo except if someone in the koozali team accept to work with us on it, so we could share a little  8-)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:44:07 PM by Xavier.A »
“When the wise man points to the moon, the fool looks at the finger.”

guest22

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
Hi,

thanks for sharing that, and good to see you're on to it :-)

Regarding collaboration between Koozali and any other party, let's not make that a subject on this topic, and simply continue and share. The community and each and every individual can work with you if you like. Nobody needs approval to work with whomever they want. Open Source, Open Community.

So looking at the how-to, it is what I generally expected to get Docker going on SME Server. My notes are on the wiki. So it seems you already have a SME9 container, that's great! I've never visited your repo, so I'll do that if it is publicly accessible.

You mention that your SME9 container already has some adjustments re Openvpnswitch, and also a basic (default) SME9 container? For the latter would be my personal main goal, to get a basic SME9 image with 2 NIC's.

Is that on the same repo? can you share the procedures/files on how you've build the image?

TIA

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »
Open Source, Open Community
that's a good vision of life

Xavier I'm just seeing that the work of Daniel is used by you , but you will accept to give the derivative software under certains conditions....That's a funny conception of the opensource.
Probably you would spent hours, days, weeks for doing the start of your work if you hadn't the work of daniel.

opensource is an exchange in both directions....not just for what is good for you.

'Show us the code'
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

guest22

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »
(RPM and SRC are in our private repo)

Xavier,

I can't seem to find any RPM or source in your private repo. All is empty?

Offline Xavier.A

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »
@Steph,

Xavier I'm just seeing that the work of Daniel is used by you , but you will accept to give the derivative software under certains conditions....That's a funny conception of the opensource.
Probably you would spent hours, days, weeks for doing the start of your work if you hadn't the work of daniel.
Not really, I have developed a completely new contrib!

In the tutorials, we use his contrib because it is simpler for newbies but in the dev team we use my contrib based on Open vswitch ! this is this contrib which permit to use efficiently more NIC for VM or container!

If you want the codes, you should look at the OpenNode repo and install the rpm for open vswitch but their OpenVZ kernel too.

opensource is an exchange in both directions....not just for what is good for you.

'Show us the code'

ok, may be, one day, but for the moment I have to work on it, and I will see if things are going in the good direction (contrib store?). I'm sorry steph but I really don't think like you, developers need to eat too ! Daniel is paid for his work, no? I don't want to debate with you about free or open source software...I don't care about this kind of debate except with my colleagues or with students!

<french only> Je croyais que tu avais l'intention d'arrêter les débats et les querelles stériles, je me suis trompé? Je veux bien faire un effort mais il faudrait que tu arrêtes de m'agresser tout le temps !</french only>

@RequestedDeletion

So looking at the how-to, it is what I generally expected to get Docker going on SME Server. My notes are on the wiki. So it seems you already have a SME9 container, that's great! I've never visited your repo, so I'll do that if it is publicly accessible.

No, our repositories are not publicly accessible, we have to work again on the RPM building system.

I have built a LXC of SME9 based on our lxc-centos-minimal, the code is from there :

It'is better to install yum in the first time and you should permit the GPG key check

For Docker, you must explore what you really want to do because there are a lot of images already built. Even if i did it, I don't think it is really useful to publish a docker image of SME9 for production because docker is wonderful for minimization of server services and SME8/9 are not really servers with few embedded services!
But with docker or LXC we can solve for example the issues with the PHP versions for owncloud or others web software !

Anyway for us, the main goal is to develop a contrib for transforming SME in cloud platform, that's why we worked on this ability for SME to host docker images and LXC.

I will look monday or tuesday if I have the time, what and how I could share our templates or codes.

Offline Xavier.A

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »
@RequestedDeletion

I can't seem to find any RPM or source in your private repo. All is empty?

all RPM are in unstable repo, you can't use this repo, when the RPM will be in testing you will be able to use it, sorry for this :-)

but tell me what you need  and I will try to give you some codes !

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 12:45:32 AM »
But because of lack of collaboration between Koozali guys and us we didn't communicate about it !

Please show me the channel you used to inform or to share your idea(s) with the development team.

You can find some tuto at : http://www.smeserver.eu/co/tuto-Hebergement_de_conteneur_Docker_sur_SME_Server_Edu.html
We didn't publish everything but if you are really interested on it, we could do it, in english too. The wiki page is not complete you should follow our tuto !

For the moment we succeed to build SME 9 as Linux Container with 2 network interfaces with a specific RPM for Openvswitch (RPM and SRC are in our private repo). Our SME 9 Docker container is ready too but we have to optimize it.
I have rebuilt the bridge interface contrib of fws to modify br0 in vmbr0 and to drop the openvpn dependency !
After you have been really rude with Daniel and you have publicly affirmed that his work is not good, I feel funny that you can take example, even of one of his software.

Everything will be available in the SME Server EDU ISO only and in our specific repo except if someone in the koozali team accept to work with us on it, so we could share a little  8-)

Tralala, the bad guys of koozali don't want your extraordinary ideas and your genius RPM (not SRPM I have understood your subliminal message) LOL
The Koozali community has not grown yet, we are respectful of licenses and we can not as you, throw the copyright of Mitel NOW. One day it will be done....

I'm sure you are mistaken of enemy.

But now you can say, you have two friends in the development team, who will be the next ?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:21:35 AM by stephdl »

Offline Xavier.A

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 03:07:19 AM »
Steph,

I'm sorry, I don't undestand you !  Steph, you should stop now,no ! If you have something to tell me you have my phone number and my personal email and you could empty your bag ! I don't understand what do you want...we will not fight together for ever. I'm not agree with you and koozali's strategy, it's my right, no?

When i said a "lack of communication" it is because no any koozali's developers came on our website to discuss with us, why should we use your mailing list then? I will never use the SME/ClearOS developpement infrastructure and You know why !

I'm sorry again but I'm not agree with you about what you wrote about me ! I really don't care about Daniel's work or personality. He doesn't need your defence. I was really angry against him, but it is the past now, no? I never said that his work was bad, but in the case of Fail2ban(I know very well the code of fail2ban) his contrib and his opinion are not acceptable because he doesn't let the admin free to adapt the actions ! He didn't accept my comments and I had to rebuild the contrib for my use! His behaviour was one more thing I didn't like in your team and I decided to stop to work with you and Koozali but you don't need my team or me to make SME. What is the problem then?

I don't communicate anymore about our work on your forum because each time I did it, It was a problem !  You can complete your wiki with our virtualization tutorials if you want but I'll never announce anything more on your forum ! For the moment, our repo are private and for development only, I never said that I will never open those repo and give you the src and the srpms, did I say that? The RPM will be published when the SME Server Edu Iso will be ready ! I'm still working on the RPM building system to make it as efficient as possible !

Anyway, this topic is about docker and maybe we should let this topic be only that, no? Or I will leave this forum forever if it's really what you want? It's up to you, Steph !

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 03:46:19 AM »
Why I answer...It is because for each post you did, You  start at first with the same terminology : 'the bad guys of koozali don't love me.'

Regarding collaboration between Koozali and any other party, let's not make that a subject on this topic, and simply continue and share. The community and each and every individual can work with you if you like. Nobody needs approval to work with whomever they want. Open Source, Open Community.

It is just the feedback of an external man of the  'koozali band'
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:02:17 AM by stephdl »

guest22

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 06:08:10 AM »
@RequestedDeletion

all RPM are in unstable repo, you can't use this repo, when the RPM will be in testing you will be able to use it, sorry for this :-)

but tell me what you need  and I will try to give you some codes !

Xavier,

I would love to see that you could share what you are doing so others can jump in. Hence the whole reason of existence of this community since 2004 and beyond. It's how knowledge is gained and spread/shared around the globe.

You are entitled to choose not to do so and do it on your own or with your own team, but I hope you will share and will use contribs.org resources such as the forums, wiki, mailing-lists bug-tracker etc. I'm sure others will eventually jump in. All based on willingness, politeness and at each individual's will.

It's a 24/7/365 effort here on contribs.org. Not having information or resources freely available 24/7/365 would not have gotten us from SME7 to here next to the many contribs, how-to's and documentation. I bet you benefited from it somehow.

Be humble, be grateful, enjoy. Show courtesy and good will come. Let's all cool down for a bit and move on.

Thanks,

ps. Time to close this thread.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
Xavier.A, let me point out this:
- you've been asked for collaboration many times.. from me, at least twice.. so there's no lack in communication, I see only you saying "no"
- you say you don't read contribs' ML, but you read the forums, and so you can't simply say "no one asked me"
- you are kindly requested to write, here (international forums, i.e. english language) in english only.. my mothertongue is italian, but I never use it  here
- you are kindly requested to not edit/post edit your posts, cutting/deleting significative parts of them.. it's a bad thing to do
- you should choose, finally, your login account/nickname, because there are at least 3 of them you use here.. this is called "morphing" and it's a bad way to act
- your posts are, too frequently, rude.. you are using here (a virtual place, indeed) a bad approach to other members.. you've been told many times, but you keep doing so.. this is unpolite from you
- yuo keep saying "you" (i.e. your team) are working on something that will be better than SME, but it is based on SME and can't likely exist without SME.. you are kindly requested to share your sources and your work as per GPL license..
- you keep saying you've done many things, but everytime some one asks you for the code/contrib, you simply answer "no"
- you made some accusations few days ago about lack of democracy here and about some kind of censorship here in the forums: since I'm here from a long time (check my profile, it's public) and I'm a member of moderation team and (I've double checked) there are no evidence of censoring you in any way, I think you should think twice before being offensive.. moreover, I would add that the moderation team has the only task to ban spammers (sometimes they try to use this forum..) and to ask people to be more polite; in no way you've been censored, never.

finally, regardless lack of communication, regardless the way "you" (generally speaking) view the topics we discuss here, you and everybody else are requestet to cease immediately any kind of rudeness: this is a place for collaboration and there are many people that help each other.. there are rules and they must be followed: if you (again, generally speaking) don't like them, it's not a question of democracy, it's a question of being educate, full stop.

@all: this topic will be locked asap, if any one wants to continue and/or comment, my contact reference are there, in front of you.