Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

'Road warrior' email

Offline ElFroggio

• +0/-0
'Road warrior' email
« on: May 31, 2014, 03:08:11 AM »
Hi,

I have sme 8.1 as a server only. I have one user from an external office that uses exclusively Outlook (she the boss). She can send and receive from the external office, I added the 'static' IP address to the Local Networks.

The problem is that on regular basis, she travels with her laptop and wants to be able to pickup & send her emails on the road.

I have checked OpenVPN contrib but it doesn't look like it's going to work with external dynamic IPs (or I just didn't understand the instructions about assigning a local network IP address with OpenVPN)

Any suggestion on how to get her to send/receive emails while on the road?

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Re: 'Road warrior' email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 04:09:38 AM »
You can use SMTPs and IMAPs (or POPs) protocols. This way the boss can use your server from anywhere.
Just be sure to open JUST secure protocols on your internet gateway forwarding ports to your sme server.
I cannot remember exactly what ports (993,995,465, 587 ??) should you use.
Just create a new account for access using the right credentials and you're done!
And verify you have external hostname pointing to your sme server.
I allways use "mail" as hostname on external DNS, and configure this as SMTPs and IMAPs on Thunderbird client.
Good luck.
Jáder

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »
jader is right, you do not need to set up an openvpn service to retrieve mail, except if you are aware of the DGSE and CIA.if that's the case, I advise you to encrypt your emails too.
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
These notes on how to do this for mobile phones also apply to laptops:
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,50604.msg254987.html#msg254987

Once you have the dns and smtps/imaps working for the laptop, I'd recommend that you remove your custom local network (unless that's involved in more than just email send/receive).

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »
These notes on how to do this for mobile phones also apply to laptops:
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,50604.msg254987.html#msg254987

Interestingly the answers in that thread were addressed to ElFroggio, so maybe he/she forgot the earlier advice from Feb 2014 ??? !!!!
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ElFroggio

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:46:29 AM »
Interestingly the answers in that thread were addressed to ElFroggio, so maybe he/she forgot the earlier advice from Feb 2014 ??? !!!!
Hi,

I looked at the advice from Feb 2014 and I do not understand how this relates to the an traveling user with Outlook.

Offline ElFroggio

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:48 AM »
You can use SMTPs and IMAPs (or POPs) protocols. This way the boss can use your server from anywhere.
Just be sure to open JUST secure protocols on your internet gateway forwarding ports to your sme server.
I cannot remember exactly what ports (993,995,465, 587 ??) should you use.
Just create a new account for access using the right credentials and you're done!
And verify you have external hostname pointing to your sme server.
I allways use "mail" as hostname on external DNS, and configure this as SMTPs and IMAPs on Thunderbird client.
Good luck.
Jáder
I have set:

Code: [Select]
POP3 server access Allow private and public (secure POP3S)
IMAP server access Allow private and public (secure IMAPS)
Webmail access         Allow HTTPS (secure)

and

Code: [Select]
SMTP authentication Allow both SMTP and SSMTPI'm trying to get Outlook 2013 to work with pop3s and ssmtp (995/465). I have Outlook 2013 working when on the local network with pop3/smtp (110/25). I have check the firewall, it forwards 25 (open on server),110 (open on server), 443 (open on server), 465 (open on server), 587 (closed on the server), 993 (open on server), and 995 (open on server)

The hostname shouldn't need to change (correct?)

Thanks for the help

Syv

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:30:26 AM »
ElFroggio

I looked at the advice from Feb 2014 and I do not understand how this relates to the an traveling user with Outlook.

The same settings are used in the email client, whether the email client is a mobile phone, Outlook on a notebook (I assume that's what you mean by road warrier), or any other email client (Windows Mail, Thunderbird, K9 etc) on any type of computer or mobile phone OS.

I assume here you are wanting IMAPS access to mail on sme server, & not access to mail that Outlook has already downloaded to it's proprietary file format storage.

You need to use secure settings for sme server to allow access remotely, ports 465, 993 for IMAP

If you are having problems, check all the settings carefully & compare them with internal (LAN) email clients.

You need to tell us the hostname if you want advice about it, it should resolve externally & be something like www.yourserver.com
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:17:11 AM by janet »

Offline ElFroggio

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
I assume here you are wanting IMAPS access to mail on sme server, not to mail that Outlook has already downloaded to it's proprietary file format storage.

No, I want POP3s and not IMAP. Janice picks up her email in Outlook and all the emails stay on her laptop.

You need to use secure settings for sme to allow access remotely, ports 465, 993 for IMAP
If you are having problems, check all the settings carefully & compare them with internal (LAN) email clients.

I have. The way I have done is that Janice runs an external office with a static IP. I added that IP to the Local Networks and it works fine.

You need to tell us the hostname if you want advice about it, it should resolve externally & be something like www.yourserver.com

The mail server is ethelbert.911networks.com

Thanks for helping

Syv

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
No, I want POP3s and not IMAP. Janice picks up her email in Outlook and all the emails stay on her laptop.

not a good chice IMVHO.. if her laptop dies (hd, anyone?), all her emails are gone..

I have. The way I have done is that Janice runs an external office with a static IP. I added that IP to the Local Networks and it works fine.

not necessary..

use imapS and Ssmtp and you are done.. the day janice will take her laptop to the beach, she can work withoun any kind of issue..

Offline ElFroggio

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
not a good chice IMVHO.. if her laptop dies (hd, anyone?), all her emails are gone..

That's no problem, full backup of her data to a server at the end of day and full backup of the server data to external backup drives. So far we have gone through 3 laptops in 5 years. The last upgrade was just in March and before that it used to be desktops (upgrade every 2 years, according to the budget)

There is also a very big bonus for her having her emails on her laptop, she can use popfile for the spam. She started using popfile almost 10 years ago. She would have to learn a new program for the spam (ain't going to happen).

Thanks

Syv

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 06:20:13 AM »
ElFroggio at al

Janice picks up her email in Outlook and all the emails stay on her laptop.

I never said I did that & for the record I do not do that.
All my mail is accessed by IMAP protocol with mail residing on my server.
I use numerous PC's & mobiles to access them.

Offline ElFroggio

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 07:05:26 AM »
I never said I did that & for the record I do not do that.

I didn't say you did. Janice does. Janice is the manager at the remote office.

Thanks

Syv

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »
ElFroggio

Sorry, name misunderstanding.