Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Join the Domain, Workgroup- or Domainname

Offline symie

• +0/-0
Join the Domain, Workgroup- or Domainname
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:26:29 PM »
Hello,

My SME Server is completely installed (version 9.0rc1).
In the Web-GUI under configuration "workgroup" the workgroup name "AGNAME" for example is used.
The configurated domain name is "AGNAME.LAN".
 When I try to join in a Windows Host in the domain, what do I have to use - the workgroup name "AGNAME" or the domain name "AGNAME.LAN"???

when I read the following manuel page:
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter7
I'm very confused. Under the topic "Connecting to a Domain" - "For Windows 7" :
Enter your servers "workgroup" value in the domain field and 'Connect'.
AND "For Windows 8":
Enter your servers "Domain" value in the domain field and 'Connect'.

I don't understand it. Is it true, that for Windows 7 you have to use the workgroup name and for Windows 8 the Domain name?  :shock:

Now I use the same name for both, the Workgroup and the Domainname: "AGNAME.LAN"

Windows 7 is working with the workgroup name, in both cases "AGNAME" and "AGNAME.LAN".
(it shows me for windows 7 the workgroup name is required - am'I right?)

With "AGNAME.LAN" (Workgroup and the Domainname) an error occures at a Win8 Prof.
(DNS mistake SRV-domain cannot be found). What is wrong?
Thanks for helping

regards, symie

the whole error messages:
Code: [Select]
Der folgende Fehler ist beim Abfragen von DNS über den Ressourceneintrag der Dienstidentifizierung (SRV) aufgetreten, der zur Suche eines Active Directory-Domänencontrollers für die Domäne "AGNAME.lan" verwendet wird:

Fehler: "Der DNS-Name ist nicht vorhanden."
(Fehlercode 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

Es handelt sich um die Abfrage des Dienstidentifizierungseintrags (SRV) für _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.AGNAME.lan.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:32:11 PM by symie »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Join the Domain, Workgroup- or Domainname
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 03:05:44 AM »
symie

I always name the Workgroup & DOMAIN (as in trusted Domain) the same ie a single word without a dot
eg OFFICE

The main Domain name (as in FQDN) should always be in the form of mydomain.com.au rather than mydomain.local, as the latter can cause web & mail server issues.

To join a windows workstation to the DOMAIN ie the sme server DOMAIN Controller server, always use the DOMAIN name

Maybe you are not following the correct steps for joining a Windows 8 machine to a sme server DOMAIN Controller
see
http://wiki.contribs.org/Windows_8_Support

Also this for Windows 7
http://wiki.contribs.org/Windows_7_Support

If you feel the documentation is incorrect please raise a bug (link at top of forums) & someone on the documentation team will fix it if necessary.

If after reading the above, you feel there is still a problem joining your Windows 8 machine to a sme9RC1 server, then please report a bug also.
sme9 is still under development, so bugs can still be found.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:09:22 AM by janet »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 08:35:18 AM »
when I read the following manuel page:
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter7
I'm very confused. Under the topic "Connecting to a Domain" - "For Windows 7" :AND "For Windows 8":
I don't understand it. Is it true, that for Windows 7 you have to use the workgroup name and for Windows 8 the Domain name?  :shock:

The link you have quoted has a small error, the correct info is in the specific Windows version pages, error has also been corrected. Thanks
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline symie

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
Hello TerryF, Hello janet

many thanks for your description.
I am the admin of a SME-Server which is running for about 5 years now, without internet services, like mail- and webserver. As mentioned in my first post, I have different workgroup- and domainnames:
- workgroup   vhsverwalt 
- domainname  vhsverwalt.local
Please have a look at the 3 screenshots below.
In this company there are all windows hosts joined in the domain with the workgroupname (vhsverwalt) and NOT with the domainname ( vhsverwalt.local)
For future setups I ' d like to improve it and I would likel to use the same name for both, as mentioned above,
without  dot"."local.
But now I would like to know what is correct? Please have a look at the 3 screenshots below, in the little samba dump screen you can see that there is used the workgroup name and not the domainname .....
In the whole smb.conf there is no ".local" ?? hmmmm??
regards, gerd

Attachment is not working:
here the smb.conf dump:
Code: [Select]
[global]
        dos charset = 850
        unix charset = UTF8
        display charset = ISO8859-1
        workgroup = VHSVERWALT
        server string = SME Server
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        strict locking = No
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:54:44 PM by symie »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:29:01 PM »
symie

The workgroup/DOMAIN name should be different to the Primary Domain Name (a FQDN).
They are totally different things.

I am not sure of what you see your issue as being.

Just run the console (login as root then type console) or login as admin, then select Configure this server, for the primary domain name enter yourdomain.com.au or whatever your main web domain name is (ie FQDN)
Note that this has NOTHING to do with workgroups or trusted DOMAINS

Then in server manager, enter your workgroup name eg OFFICE (or VHSVERWAL) & enable the Domain Controller function of sme server.

Then in your Windows workstations, in the Networking section, you either join the WORKGROUP or join the DOMAIN.
The way you join a workstation to a server affects the access rights etc.
A DOMAIN is a network of trusted computers which can access each others shares etc without needing to enter security authentication.

For the Primary Domain Name setting (in the console which runs at first boot) you should use a real & valid domain name (FQDN) eg vhsverwalt.com.de rather than vhsverwalt.local
This setting is for allowing others to access your web server & email server & has nothing to do with workgroups or trusted DOMAINS..
You will only end up having mail & web issues if you use a non valid domain name such as vhsverwalt.local
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:31:38 PM by janet »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.