Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SPF and ISP forward email questions

Offline jim7jim

• +0/-0
SPF and ISP forward email questions
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
I'm looking at having my ISP implement a Barracuda solution to help filter SPAM and viruses. All email would go to the ISP for filtering and then forward to my SME server. Two questions:

Does SME 8.1 enable SPF checking by default?

Is there any security setting in SME that will prevent all my email coming from the same few IP addresses?

TIA

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: SPF and ISP forward email questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
Does SME 8.1 enable SPF checking by default?

Yes. SPF checking is done by spamassassin, and the result contributes to the spamassassin score.

Is there any security setting in SME that will prevent all my email coming from the same few IP addresses?

No. Why does all your email come from the same few IP addresses, and why do you want to stop all your email?

Offline jim7jim

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »
Sorry, I probably phrased that 2nd question badly. My ISP is saying that when they forward the scanned email on to my SME server that it will always be coming from one of a few IP addresses. They mentioned that some systems will consider that an attack which could cause a problem. So I was trying to verify that wouldn't be an issue with SME. 

I hope I've explained that clearly. Thanks for your response.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
I'm looking at having my ISP implement a Barracuda solution to help filter SPAM and viruses.

Is SME server not doing a good job?

Offline jim7jim

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »
Lately, more and more spam has been getting through. My users are frequently emailing me asking if messages are spam which is becoming time consuming. I do have the DNSBL and RHSBL enabled. I previously had tweaked the Spam sensitivity to Custom and the tagging level to 5. I felt like that was a decent level without too many false positives.

I don't feel like I have time to mess with spam so I was hoping to implement something that I can set and forget but maybe the Barracuda will be no better.