Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

DNS

Offline wellsi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.wellsi.com
DNS
« on: April 19, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »
Last weekend I upgraded my home server to SME 9 and at the same time upgraded my router.
Since then many of my devices, eg tablets, phones etc have been reporting DNS failures. However when I do a simple DNS lookup it works and nothing strange in the dns logs, also when reloading a page it works, so it could be that DNS is just too slow
As this is not wife-friendly I modified the DHCP to include google's public DNS and so far I have not seen any further problems.

$ cat /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dhcpd.conf/25DomainNameServers
    option domain-name-servers  { $LocalIP }, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4;

I have not seen any mentions on this forum or the bug tracker that others have experienced DNS issues with SME 9 so I don't yet have any indication of a SME Server bug, this is most likely a network configuration issue especially as the router was also upgraded at the same time.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it?

Offline idp_qbn

• +0/-0
Re: DNS
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »
Is it possible your ISP DNS server(s) were having difficulty?
I remember something like that 5 or 6 years ago with TPG (my ISP). I could not ping their DNS server addresses but I could get to their web site. Their support pages listed a network issue (memory is very vague about this - sorry)

I used the Google public DNS then and when I checked the next day, TPG was OK so I reverted.

Happy Easter, anyway!

Cheers
Ian

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:29:57 AM »
Ditto for as per post by  idp_qbn, I experienced issues a month or two ago here in Oz with my ISP iiNet (one of the better by the way) changed to using the google dns servers and it all went away, iiNet have sinced resolved whatever was causing the problem and I am back using them as the default.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
i switch also to sme9b4 for my main server, but other we aware that yet there is really few contribs available and certainly it is the next huge work we will have.

I will keep in touch if i experience your issue ian.

For reminder the path of perl is not the same between sme8 and sme9  and you cannot simply install a contrib_sme8 to sme9.
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
i switch also to sme9b4 for my main server, but other we aware that yet there is really few contribs available and certainly it is the next huge work we will have.

all works as expected except that there is no contribs really available. I cannot see your slow dns issue since I use my sme server in the server_only mode...
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline compsos

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 12:43:34 AM »
Just built a new SME9. It is sitting behind an SME8 whilst being tested. The new server can nslookup OK but  a client attached fails to resolve any URLs. The client is a Linux notebook and turning on the wireless (linked to the SME8) whilst still connected to the LAN SME9 the dns works.

Windows 7 client attached only to SME9 works. Nslookup on Win7 client OK

Nslookup on the notebook client returns only 127.0.0.1 so could it be the dns information is not being broadcast properly on the LAN? Even looking up the SME9 URL fails.IP addresses are fine.

Will not call it a bug until I have tested the notebook against another SME9 server. But in the mean time anyone have any suggestions? The issue looks like it is selective.
Regards

Gordon............

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:55 AM »
$ cat /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dhcpd.conf/25DomainNameServers
    option domain-name-servers  { $LocalIP }, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4;

This is not a good idea. If you provide more than one resolver IP address, you should ensure that they are all returning the same data. Here you are just confusing things. If you want to use Google's name servers, then why do you need anything more than 8.8.8.8?

Offline compsos

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 12:42:19 AM »
This one was my fault (probably had the wrong glasses on) and selected DHCP (address only) rather than just DHCP on the notebook in the network-manager. Interesting that the local machine must have had some cache that i was using with the SME8 on wireless that was not being used on the LAN connection to SME9.

Thank you for the help.
Regards

Gordon............

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 05:37:02 AM »
This one was my fault ...

Please also be careful about hijacking a thread. Your issue I'm sure has little to do with wellsi's original issue.