Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Upgrade from SME 7

Offline ally_uk

• +0/-0
Upgrade from SME 7
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »
Hi there I am working with a HP server I initially had problems with SME server version 8 after doing a clean install the machine just hangs and doesn't boot ( Suspect issue is with raid)

I reverted back to version 7 and the install went through fine. Question what is the easiest way to upgrade to version 8? I am quite familiar with Linux can I add a repo?

Also when I remote access the Server via Putty I can only access the server config gui no command line is there a way around this?

Many Thanks

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Upgrade from SME 7
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:09:44 AM »
Hi

first of all you should tell us the HP model and check its compatibility with Centos5/RHEL5

then, take a minute to explain
Also when I remote access the Server via Putty I can only access the server config gui no command line is there a way around this?

because it is not clear to me.. how do you log in via putty?

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »
You provide almost no information, so I'll guess:

RAID PROBLEM: go to BIOS and disable all RAID there. You must  use JUST ONE RAID (in Linux by SOFTWARE) or in BIOS of HP SERVER (not recomended).

WORKS with SME7: Do you verified if it's running RAID ? How many HDDs do you have?

PUTTY: You must be logging as admin. To access command line you must login as root.

I'd test all these changes using another (any size) HDD on same server.

Good luck and MALE BACKUP AND VERIFY IT!

Offline ally_uk

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
Server in question is a HP Proliant ML110

The server currently has two 500 Gig Sata Hard Disks SDA SDB. There is no option in the BIOS to turn off raid I have tried all the hard disk operation modes and have set the BIOS to defaults. When you install SME 8 it hangs during boot just get a black screen.

If I set the raid devices to 0 on the install menu SME version 8 installs fine but in a ideal world I would like to have RAID up and running.

Version 7 runs perfect.

remote access issue resolve :)

Is there a easy way to upgrade from 7 to 8 via the use of repos and using the cli

Many Thanks

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:30:47 PM by ally_uk »

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
ML 110 has several generations (G1˜G8).
I suppose this is a G5 or newer.
Maybe you need to use another key to acess another BIOS (from P4xx controller for example).

Please read your manual  about what key to press. My guess is something like F9 F10 F11 or F12.
Inside Controller BIOS you can disable RAID.

I'd like to help  you more, but for that I need your gen# (ML110 Gx) to find out the manual and read it.

Regards

Jáder

BTW: As far I remember HP server has problems to boot with ANY other USB device attached. It's something about boot order I was unable to debug due short time.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »
Server in question is a HP Proliant ML110

there are many flavours and generations of ML 110..

please take a look here:
http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/redhat_linux.aspx

and check your server supports RHEL5

The server currently has two 500 Gig Sata Hard Disks SDA SDB. There is no option in the BIOS to turn off raid I have tried all the hard disk operation modes and have set the BIOS to defaults. When you install SME 8 it hangs during boot just get a black screen.

during setup you can switch to other consoles with Shift + F2/F3 ecc
try to catch the error message and report here (search also with google)

If I set the raid devices to 0 on the install menu SME version 8 installs fine but in a ideal world I would like to have RAID up and running.

I agree with you :-)