Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

AX88772 driver with SME Server 8.1?

Offline Tileann

• +0/-0
AX88772 driver with SME Server 8.1?
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:25:40 PM »
Greetings,

I'm a SME-server user since way back in 2004, however I have not had any reason
do any fiddling of my own. It has always worked straight out of the box.. until now.

I thought I would downsize and be more environmentally friendly and all that, you know
so I went out and bought myself a NUC. This particular one was without an ethernet NIC.
I solved this, I thought, but buying a cheep USB-LAN dongle.
The dongle worked like a charm with a LIVE-linux usb stick but not with the installed SME 8.1.

I have the driver, provided by the manufacturer, but I can't Make.
I get the following error:

make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-371.4.1.e15/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [default] Error 2

Anyone have any advice on what to do?

I include the driver if that is any help.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68119000/AX88772C_772B_772A_760_772_178_LINUX_DRIVER_v4.12.0_Source.tar.tar
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:37:14 PM by Tileann »

guest22

Re: AX88772 driver with SME Server 8.1?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
Your stock SME Sever 8.1 is does not hold any compiling tools. Hence the error. Please search the wiki for development tools.

Offline Tileann

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Thank you for the fast response.

As you might have realized by now I am a newbie when it comes to actually working in Linux.
How do I install the development tools?

guest22

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:51:40 PM »
No worries.

First you have to REALIZE what compiling and development tools mean/do. By default, SME Server does not hold anything that can endanger the stock stability and security. By adding development tools to be able to compile software from source, you are breaking this default status.

After adding development tools and compiling the software you want, you should remove all the developemnt tools to gain back 'safe' status.

BUT, it is recommended in general NOT to install developement tools at all on a SME server, but instead use a seperate (virtual) machine for that and copy over the compile results.

Since you have no experience in this field, I strongly suggest that you go through the wiki and forums in search for any information regarding compiling things on SME Server. I could give you the 1 liner command, but that would prevent you from reading real important stuff, and you ARE raising your knowledge bar by becoming a developer from the status of that of a happy user.

Don't worry, it can be done, but please take the learning curve for you own security and stability.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 04:01:49 PM »
As you might have realized by now I am a newbie when it comes to actually working in Linux.

It's very strongly recommended that you buy/obtain hardware which "just works" with SME server. You will have lots of frustrating experiences if you try to modifying it to match with your unsupported hardware. Cheap USB-LAN dongles are not on the recommended hardware list!

Offline Tileann

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »
It's very strongly recommended that you buy/obtain hardware which "just works" with SME server. You will have lots of frustrating experiences if you try to modifying it to match with your unsupported hardware. Cheap USB-LAN dongles are not on the recommended hardware list!

Noted. :)