Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME hardware migration

Offline derekb

• +0/-0
SME hardware migration
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
Hi

I want to do a full restore from my current SME server hardware to new hardware to improve the performance, etc. Up-to now i have tried using affa as well as dar (backup to workstation and usb) in order to transfer the setup but it looks like i have too much data on the server (+500Gb).

As it will be quite difficult to get the neccesary downtime to delete some of the core file to make the backup smaller i though there might be some other options i can use. (Maybe configuring the new server as a redundant unit and in this way get the core files over without affecting the network)

Has anyone done this before and can anyone maybe assist with some recommendations.

Kind regards

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: SME hardware migration
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »
derekb

See
http://wiki.contribs.org/UpgradeDisk

You MUST follow instructions carefully & completely, especially the steps to perform BEFORE removing the disk from the old server, & sme8 specific issues.

I suggest you do a trial run first to make sure all steps are followed & allow you to resolve procedural issues.
This method avoids the usually long time required to do a backup.
Restore will also be faster as you are working with a fast mounted SATA/IDE drive, rather than slower USB backup drives & slower USB port connections.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline derekb

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:43:11 AM »
Hi Janet

Thank you for the reply. i have done a dummy run but i really dont know why but the backups are restoring properly.  :?

Is there any other method worst considering?

Kind regards

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
derekb

i have done a dummy run but i really dont know why but the backups are restoring properly

Do you really mean what you said above ?
Those words state that the backups ARE restoring properly.
If that is the case then what is your problem, why are you asking for other methods.

Just guessing, but did you mean to say the backups are NOT restoring properly ???

If you are still having problems, please understand that you really need to give details of what you have done, what happened, what error messages you received, what you expected to happen & what did or did not happen.

Your queries are very vague & lacking in detail.
How do you expect someone to troubleshoot a problem when all you say is "it does not work".
Please read this,
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
and then reply again with more information.

The Affa "rise" feature supposedly works if you do it correctly, I have used it in the past.
Also the Restore from Disk method is known to work, again if you follow the steps correctly.

You need to give more details in order for us to determine what you are doing wrong.

Offline derekb

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »
Hi Janet

Sorry if my message was vague.

Regarding the issues with the transfer of the data - i believe this is due to the size:

Workstation backup and rise - the backup complete (on the download) but when i restore it to the fresh install not all the file, etc is transferred. From this is looks like the workstation backup only completes to 65-70%.

Affa: i have the same result but as with the workstation backup and rise but vice versa. I have a full backup but the rise only completes 40%. i have had a look at the logs and cant see any error which will indicated to a problem.

For the HD transfer and restore im have a similar issue that with affa - my files are not all loaded and even when i do the base configuration myself the system isnt 100% for me to take the new hardware live.

As i said in my initial post i believe the problem is due to the size of the system i need to transfer and is why i thought by making a mirror to the new hardware ("in a redundant type configuration") would be best as the system can be verified completely before the being taken live.

Again - sorry if my msg was vague.

Regards 

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
derekb

Regarding the issues with the transfer of the data - i believe this is due to the size:

It should not matter what amount (size) of data you have, as long as the backup disk is large enough & the disk you are restoring to is large enough.

Please be specific & advise the amount of data on your current server & hard disk size etc
eg show the output of
df -h

Also what is the size of your backup USB disk ?
Also what is the size of the hard disk(s) in the new server ?

The only reason I could think of that you only restore 65-70% or only 40% of data, is because either the backup process or the restore process did not fully complete.

The "rise" term is only applicable to using Affa on a dedicated backup server, which you "rise" to become the live production server, in the event that the main server crashes & is temporarily unrecoverable.
Please only use the rise term in relation to Affa rise, otherwise you confuse the issue.

Workstation backup and rise - the backup complete (on the download) but when i restore it to the fresh install not all the file, etc is transferred. From this is looks like the workstation backup only completes to 65-70%.

How do you know that (the restore) only 65-70% completes, & I assume you mean the restore is only 70% complete, as you said the backup part completes (fully) ?

Affa: i have the same result but as with the workstation backup and rise but vice versa. I have a full backup but the rise only completes 40%. i have had a look at the logs and cant see any error which will indicated to a problem.

Again how do you know that the Affa rise process only completes 40% ?

In both cases do you wait until you receive a message that says the restore or rise is fully complete ?
It may take a long time, many many hours eg 4-8 hours or even 24 hours depending on the amount of data, the type of files, the amount of compression, your CPU & RAM, & data tranfer speeds of your system & hard drives & network etc.
An Affa rise performed on a dedicated backup server, should be relatively fast though, I expect under 1 hour, as all files are already copied (due to hard links), assuming you have already done a full backup from your production server to the dedicated Affa backup server.

Either of these restore processes may appear to be doing nothing for a long time (but is actually copying & unpacking all the files), so you may wrongly get impatient & hit the reboot button, but that is a sure way to cause the restore or rise to fail.

For the HD transfer and restore im have a similar issue that with affa - my files are not all loaded and even when i do the base configuration myself the system isnt 100% for me to take the new hardware live.

Again what makes you think that the files are not all loaded (I assume that means not all restored) ?

Please use standard & consistent english terminology.

What does the following comment mean, please explain more accurately & with more details, I just do not understand what you mean:
"and even when i do the base configuration myself the system isnt 100% for me to take the new hardware live"

Are you really following the instructions exactly to the letter for the Restore from Disk method ?

As i said in my initial post i believe the problem is due to the size of the system i need to transfer and is why i thought by making a mirror to the new hardware ("in a redundant type configuration") would be best as the system can be verified completely before the being taken live.

You have said nothing that indicates the size of the system to be transferred is a problem, what makes you keep thinking that, as it really should NOT be, refer my earlier comments & df -h command.
The only issue of significance is that a system with more data, will take longer to backup & longer to restore.

If you want to create another server & manually copy files (data in ibays) across to it, that is an acceptable method (only partially though), as it will not automatically get the mysql data & email data & user configuration etc, unless you do something specific to transfer those types of data also.
That's why using one of the built in or supported backup & restore methods is best to use, as all types of data are included.

It is NOT a good idea to be assisting you with 3 or 4 methods at once, please select one method of backup & restore & we can work through & troubleshoot that.
You said you had problems with Affa, so I advised you to use the next fastest restore method I am aware of, ie the Restore from Disk method.
You save a lot of time with this method, as you do not need to do a backup first, just restore directly from the properly prepared original disk that you remove from the production server.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:13:15 PM by janet »