Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Need to update PHP support from 5.3.3 to 5.5.x

Offline brunp

• +0/-0
Re: Need to update PHP support from 5.3.3 to 5.5.x
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
Hi all,

So when I did the upgrade, it removed older components (including phpmyadmin), and only left the folder in /usr/share/

Yet, I still can't generate an iBAY with that name. Is there a file somewhere that is holding on to this name? There is no directory or filename with
that word in it except for two older RPM install files.

I tried to do an internal file search, but wasn't able to find anything concrete as the query I used to do an internal file search wasn't helping me.

Paul

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
don't use that name, full stop..
and this is a good idea if you plan to publish it on wan side..
use a differerent name, an acronymn, whatever..

in this way you:
- solve your problem
- "hide" phpmyadmin to scriptkiddies and crackers (PMA is often vulnerable)

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
P.S.: 1 issue -> 1 topic.. the original topic was about upgrading php, not installing phpmyadmin

Offline brunp

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:03 PM »
P.S.: 1 issue -> 1 topic.. the original topic was about upgrading php, not installing phpmyadmin

you are right, although it is related. :-)

Thanks for answering though, I should have thought outside the box and not fixated myself on using the actual name. :-)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 01:54:33 AM »
brunp

Yet, I still can't generate an iBAY with that name. Is there a file somewhere that is holding on to this name? There is no directory or filename with
that word in it except for two older RPM install files.

Did you even read my earlier answer, it seems you just continued on & ignored it.

"If you have installed phpmyadmin, then there is probably a folder in /opt with that name, and/or there is an alias (eg http://yourdomain.com/phpmyadmin) for web access, so therefore that name cannot be used a second time on your system. Many contribs rpms will install to /opt"

Show us output of
ls -al /opt

Maybe also look in Primary ibay
ls -al /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary/html

Also look in the templates tree structure in /etc/e-smith/templtes/etc/...
and maybe also in the custom templates tree /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/...
There may be some templates that are setting up an alias which is stopping you from using that name elsewhere.
You will have to look deeper inside those folders at the template fragment "files" to see if an alias exists for phpmyadmin or phpMyAdmin.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline brunp

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 03:51:58 AM »
I didn't ignore your post. I looked in every location and tried to look in files and found nothing. But I didn't look for hidden files.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 05:19:27 AM »
brunp

You need to look in template fragments to see what is creating the phpmyadmin alias, assuming there is one.

Offline brunp

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 04:59:28 AM »
well....turns out there was a slight mistake in the instructions provided for the template creation.

The location of those config files have to be here:

/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/phpMyAdmin/

not

/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/phpMyAdmin/

This allows for the expand-template command to work correctly. Well, this was the case in my opinion.

Paul

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 06:00:27 AM »
brunp

turns out there was a slight mistake in the instructions provided for the template creation.
The location of those config files have to be here:
/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/phpMyAdmin/
not
/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/phpMyAdmin/
This allows for the expand-template command to work correctly. Well, this was the case in my opinion.

Exactly where are these instructions that you say are incorrect.
Please provide URL

If incorrect, they need to be corrected.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
I FINALLY managed to update a test server using SME 8.0 to use PHP 5.5 without causing MySQL to fail after reading through some of the links here. Here is what I had to do in order to do it.

Why not apply for a Wiki account and you can then create your own page and acquire some fame :-) I'm sure there would be many interested and it makes it easier to find.

If you need help with formatting you could add a Document Bug and someone will undoubtedly help you (and please join in with testing/verifying or whatever else you can do to help)

As has been mentioned, there is a tough choice to be made between stability and new features. SME has a policy of tracking RHEL/CentOS and not interfering with their chosen versions. This gives us the rock solid platform that most seem to want. Unfortunately we can't please all the people all the time !

It is one of the reasons that we are pushing to get to CentOS 6 / Koozali SME 'v9' to give more up to date packages.

As has been suggested, v9 may be a better place for you to go, and it is already remarkably stable. Most of the 'bugs' are to do with additional functionality, install routines etc, but not with the main system itself. Even then, it may not be 'bleeding edge' enough for you, but may give you better long term options.

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »
brunp
CentOS 6.x (sme9) does not support direct upgrade from earlier versions, so you cannot upgrade sme8 using a sme9 CD.

Note that this is from upstream policy.

Here's the story : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide/MigratingFiveToSix
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline MarkR

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Hi,

I have followed all the instructions but i am unable to log into phpmyadmin with the created password.

Please note i upgraded my PHP from the remi repositories.

Any ideas??

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »

I have followed all the instructions but i am unable to log into phpmyadmin with the created password.

Please note i upgraded my PHP from the remi repositories.

Any ideas??

Which instructions, and from where ?

Can you list EXACTLY what you did ?

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki