Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

BandWidth - Crontab - AT command

Offline haqaro

• +0/-0
BandWidth - Crontab - AT command
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:36:55 AM »
Hi!

We install the SMI Email Server however we experienced a bandwidth problem. Every time the server is up, our max bandwidth reach the top (6Mbp/s). We just unplug the network cable or put it down thru the command ifconfig eth0 down, and it goes down. What make the server get that much, even if no one is using it ? There are any way to limit the max bandwidth ?

To roundabout this issue for now we create a crontab job that every morning run the command ifconfig eth0 down, and every 8pm run the service network restart . Like this i can use the internet and leave outside the office hours the server online. That worked for a while in my case, however since I run an AT command to restart the network service, during office hours the server suddenly start working again. The AT command should not run only once ? Or it will repeat every day ? there are any way to clear the AT Jobs ?

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the english and the newbie linux knowledge

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: BandWidth - Crontab - AT command
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »
hi, welcome here..

you should tell us more about your server setup (sever only? server and gateway?) and you lan/connection setup..

I had some troubles with a misconfigured router/firewall that left dns port open to wan and my server was flooded with dns requests..

Offline haqaro

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

Basically its just a server in a DMZ zone with public IP, so that clue for DNS port could be useful here. Can you explain me more about that trouble you had or pointing me the link here for the discussion ?

Thank you

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
there was no discussion here :-)

"just a server" means a server only machine (only one nic) exposed to wan in DMZ.. you should check what port/services you are allowing, since in server only mode EVERY service is available (dns, dhcp, samba and so on..)

Offline haqaro

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »
Okidoki! Will check that in our firewall and let you know the results here!  :-)

About the AT command ? It's possible to the onetimejob can being executed every day ?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »
first of all solve your problem
then we evaluate if you really need a cron job

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »
first of all solve your problem

And you can't solve your problem without knowing what it is. "netstat -anp" might give you a clue as to what program is generating traffic and what remote addresses are connecting or being connected to.

Basically its just a server in a DMZ zone with public IP, ...

SME server is not designed to run in that fashion. Please be sure to read the manual carefully, and more than once.