Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Restore from USB - Possible at the present Beta 3 stage ?

Offline nicolatiana

• +0/-0
Restore from USB - Possible at the present Beta 3 stage ?
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
Just to perform a test with a real (and futurible) scenario: at the present time, making a backup via USB (Console) of a 8/32 server, can I perform a restore over a 9/32 Beta3 (during or after install?

Further question: Centos 5 to Centos 6 in place upgrade is not supported officially and I suppose Sme 8 to Sme 9 will be the same.
Will the USB strategy the only one supported (Considering that Affa has some lack of developement) ?

Bye

Nicola
Consulente di Smeserver.it -  Soluzioni e supporto su Sme server in Italia.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
Re: Restore from USB - Possible at the present Beta 3 stage ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:03:49 PM »
The backup/restore SME8/SME9 is in testing now, see this Bug  8166 for a MySQL issue, apart from that it appears to be OK, the backup/restore routines have been heavily worked over in SME9 see this Bug 8129, as to final question see Bug 7384
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Just to perform a test with a real (and futurible) scenario: at the present time, making a backup via USB (Console) of a 8/32 server, can I perform a restore over a 9/32 Beta3 (during or after install?

You most definitely should be able to! Please test it, and report results via the bug tracker. That's what 'beta' releases are for.

Offline okepc

• +0/-0
    • http://www.okepc.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
Tested: sme8/32 backup restore to sme9b3/64 without any problems (sofar , been 2 days)
ibays ok
mysql databases ok.
users and email ok.
website and cms ok.

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
Tested: sme8/32 backup restore to sme9b3/64 without any problems (sofar , been 2 days)
ibays ok
mysql databases ok.
users and email ok.
website and cms ok.

please can you raise a bug in order to inform developers with all needed informations
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline nicolatiana

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
Upgrade form 8/32 to 9/32 beta 3 on veteran Proliant ML110 G2 with double 250 Gb Pata.
I did it: i've copied a bunch of files in the test machine with 3 users and 4 ibays.
Made a USB console backup.
Installed SME 9 beta 3 from scratch in the same hardware wiping the exixting RAID1 and accepted the option to restore from an existing backup.
All went fine; some "cosmetic" issue due to the fact that inserting the USB device the pnp/mount results are redirect to video "scrambling" the restore screen.

Just a question: the in-place upgrade from previous 7-8 is not (and I suppose will not be) supported, but while installing 9 over an existing 8 Anaconda still asks to choose between a new install wiping disk or upgrading the existing system. Would not be better to avoid this choice, limiting it only to 9.0 to 9.x future upgrades ?

Nicola

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »
Just a question: the in-place upgrade from previous 7-8 is not (and I suppose will not be) supported, but while installing 9 over an existing 8 Anaconda still asks to choose between a new install wiping disk or upgrading the existing system. Would not be better to avoid this choice, limiting it only to 9.0 to 9.x future upgrades ?

this should be posted in bugzilla IMHO

Offline wellsi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.wellsi.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »
That's a good question. There is one related open bug already

Bug 8038 - Installer shows warning about "too old version"

It may make sense to remove the upgrade option entirely, that would be a new bug.

Offline nicolatiana

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »
I put a comment to Bug 8038 (http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8038 ) about the 8--->9 upgrade.

Nicola