Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Allow FTP access to primary Ibay

guest22

Allow FTP access to primary Ibay
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
Hi,

I can't get my head around this 'simple' issue, so help is apprecaited.

- Stock SME8
- remoteuser acess contrib installed
- Create user John Doe
- Set chroot to /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary/html is user remote access

I can login with FTP and do land in /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary/html
I can not write any files to it

I do not want root or admin user to be used for the FTP access.

Thoughts please?

TIA

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: Allow FTP access to primary Ibay
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
By default the files in the Primary ibay are owned by 'admin:shared' with access rights of '-rw-r-----'  -- not much chance that 'John Doe' is going to succeed in making changes...

You need to:

- set the access rights on the primary ibay to "write group, read everyone"
- add John Doe to a (the?) group that the Primary ibay belongs to ("shared" by default)
- deal with the ftp configuration issue that denies ftp access for members of groups: http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=37307.0

... Or, symlink the folders that John Doe needs to edit into his FTP area, with access rights that allow the web server to read his changes

... Or change the owner for the Primary ibay to 'jdoe:shared':
Code: [Select]
chown -R jdoe:shared /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary/html/. BUT: 'signal-event post-upgrade' or 'signal-event ibay-modify' or any of several other events will restore file ownership on the ibay contents to 'admin'.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »
I think you could do what you want with "pure SME" by:

1) DON'T use the desired web address for the Primary domain -- use "mysmeserver.local" or some such.
2) Create an ibay 'jdoe' , and set a password on it
3) Create your desired domain as a secondary domain, and select ibay 'jdoe' as the content for the domain
4) Give John Doe the password you set on the ibay in step 2
- done -

guest22

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »
Sorry, I've should have replied sooner.

Normally I hold up the 'best practice' by installing SME Server with a local domain, and then add the real domains as virtual domains to avoid problems as described above. So I changed the primary domain to ***.local and added the real domain as a alias.

Problem now though is the mess with certificates.... Need to sort that out.

Thanks,

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:27:17 PM »
The simple solution RequestedDeletion is to avoid FTP altogether. It's been deprecated for a very long time.

guest22

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:33:01 PM »
The simple solution RequestedDeletion is to avoid FTP altogether. It's been deprecated for a very long time.

Tell me about, virtually any advertising agency 'updating' websites don't have  a clue and only 'know' FTP, thus 'demanding' and 'dictating' their way of old school and very much outdated way of doing things. Trying to educate them is a lost cause.

Thanks for the pointer, I fully agree.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
Your advertising agency probably uses Dropbox -- if you can get python 2.7 on your server you can run Dropbox on it...

Or, another ftp-based idea: give them an ibay with ftp access and create a cronjob that scans that dir for updates and rsyncs with your Primary ibay if there have been any changed files.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »
Tell me about, virtually any advertising agency 'updating' websites don't have  a clue and only 'know' FTP, thus 'demanding' and 'dictating' their way of old school and very much outdated way of doing things. Trying to educate them is a lost cause.

Thanks for the pointer, I fully agree.

just tell them to use Filezilla (for example) and sftp, you're done :-)

guest22

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
just tell them to use Filezilla (for example) and sftp, you're done :-)

Will that work for the Primary Ibay considering rights and all as indicated above?

For now I followed my 'trusted' way of installing SME Server with a local dummy domain and add the real domains as extra domains/virtual servers.

Thanks for all comments and help/tips.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »

Will that work for the Primary Ibay considering rights and all as indicated above?

No, but as you note, there is no reason to use the Primary ibay for the domain controlled by the people wishing to do ftp uploads.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »
No, but as you note, there is no reason to use the Primary ibay for the domain controlled by the people wishing to do ftp uploads.

you stole letters from my fingers :-)